The Daily Grind

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I believe the same as you :).

I've used them in the past as both my bro and parents have one :D.

the Barista Express™​

Yeah, same one I've got, they're so good. The Grinder especially is completely professional, it's not home tier whatsoever. Incredible piece of kit.

steaky360

Yeah, same one I've got, they're so good. The Grinder especially is completely professional, it's not home tier whatsoever. Incredible piece of kit.
I agree, its excellent, but weirdly, the grinder is the expresses weakest part! That sounds like a criticism, but its really not.

Its a great well built, robust machine!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I agree, its excellent, but weirdly, the grinder is the expresses weakest part! That sounds like a criticism, but its really not.

Its a great well built, robust machine!
I've had mine a year now, and my previous Nespresso machines already made the morning enjoyable, but these Sage machines just take it to another level. I'm literally excited to make it out of bed.

And that's aside from the endless fun of exploring new coffee suppliers and wonderful flavours.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Because i like digging out old topic, and because i may need some help ^^

So, i need to buy a new coffee machine, and i was wondering what you, dear coffee addict, think about these two models :
(i'm looking for an expresso machine with a max budget of 350 euros, without grain miller (i hope this is the right word) that can make expresso, and if possible an option to "heat" milk)

my first choice, the Bambino from Sage (or breville in US)

(the bambino plus is really more expensive in France, almost 150E more, too much for my budget)

or

my second choice, the Dedica from delonghi

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Because i like digging out old topic, and because i may need some help ^^

So, i need to buy a new coffee machine, and i was wondering what you, dear coffee addict, think about these two models :
(i'm looking for an expresso machine with a max budget of 350 euros, without grain miller (i hope this is the right word) that can make expresso, and if possible an option to "heat" milk)

my first choice, the Bambino from Sage (or breville in US)

(the bambino plus is really more expensive in France, almost 150E more, too much for my budget)

or

my second choice, the Dedica from delonghi
Ooooo, both exceptionally good options.

From what I know:

The Sage is superb, added benefits is that they sell all individual components on their website so you can service the machine and replace parts down to quite small pieces and it doesn't cost much either. Saying that though, I've used mine daily now for 2 years and not had one issue. With the Sage, I found Amazon was the best place to buy around Christmas / New Years time, they do about 30% off of Sage machines.

The DeLonghi though is just as good from quality, although I think you'd have to return it to delonghi to get it serviced. The added benefit with the DeLonghi is that milk frother is designed such that you just place it in the glass and it will do it's magic for you, whereas the Bambino, you'll have to angle the glass to get the milk frothing properly, it takes quite a lot of practice to master.

The only reason I'd choose the Sage over the DeLonghi is being able to buy the individual parts really easily.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And what about this one ?
It's a little bit more expensive, but ... well, i'll eat pasta for a month XD

I'm incredibly biased towards the Sage's, they're incredible machines, not just buying the machine itself, but you get free masterclass virtual sessions as often as you like to learn how to brew best.

That's the machine a friend has, it's incredible but damn expensive! But again, if you look around Christmas through til end of January, you should find it on Amazon nearer £250 - £300.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Look like you answer quicker than i delete my message XD
I can't really wait for christmas, but, if you say it's really worth the 80E, i may go for it

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly I've gone off the deep end recently. One hungover morning at my bros I was introduced to James Hoffmann's youtube channel and I'm so deep in it right now!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Honestly I've gone off the deep end recently. One hungover morning at my bros I was introduced to James Hoffmann's youtube channel and I'm so deep in it right now!
I love James, did you see where he bought some ancient Italian machine and had it restored?

Soooo beautiful!

I want to visit his coffee shop just to taste that coffee they had specially made for the old machine.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I love James, did you see where he bought some ancient Italian machine and had it restored?

Soooo beautiful!

I want to visit his coffee shop just to taste that coffee they had specially made for the old machine.
I did :) His latest video is hilarious!

Currently deep into his Mokka pot range

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm incredibly biased towards the Sage's, they're incredible machines, not just buying the machine itself, but you get free masterclass virtual sessions as often as you like to learn how to brew best.

That's the machine a friend has, it's incredible but damn expensive! But again, if you look around Christmas through til end of January, you should find it on Amazon nearer £250 - £300.
So, i'll go with this one
I missed a 30% discount on amazon, i'm so mad about it T.T

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
I've never had Greek coffee, I've never been to Greece.
However, I (and my family) lived on the Greek side of the border in Cyprus for 2.5 years. Army.
We lived in Dhekelia, the Eastern Sovereign Base Area, which is on the other end of the bay from Larnaca.
As a truck driver soldier, I frequently drove down to the W.S.B.A. and RAF Akrotiri, past Limassol. At the halfway point there was a roadside cafe. Ideal for the obligatory break. And you could have a Nescafe, or a local style coffee. So I had the local coffee, freshly brewed from the grinder.
A small pot, just the right size for one demitasse. You order it with the quantity of sugar to your taste. Ena Café Metriou, parakalou ( 1 coffee, medium sugar, please) for me.
A measured amount of coffee, complete with sugar, goes into the open pot, on top of the cold water. It's placed on a gas ring and brought to the boil, as soon as the coffee grounds sink, the pot is emptied into your demitasse. You leave it a moment, for the grounds to settle, then sip it, taking care not to shoogle your cup. Heaven !
Similar to an espresso in strength, but a totally different flavour.
I also remember you could order Café Virigligi, but can't remember if that's two sugars or none. It was 40 years ago 😃

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
More coffee reminiscing.
Back in the 00's, when I first started in International trucking, I was back and forth from the UK to Italy, a lot.
We used the Tunnel Frejus, because the Mont Blanc Tunnel was still closed, due to the huge fire a few years earlier. This route took you from Lyon to Turin, and then on to wherever you were heading in Italy, Milan area was usually my next port of call.
Anyway, there was a big motorway service area on the AutoStrada Turin-Milan (ASTM), near Novara. All the facilities were on the bridge over the Auto Strada, servicing both sides. There was a big coffee and snacks bar there. The Barista was phenomenal.
He had an enormous coffee maker, at least 10 fonts, and in busy periods every font was in use. You'd belly up to the bar, he would glance round - that was your cue to speak up, to order a cappuccino, ristretto, or whatever. If you missed your cue, you were getting a normale.
That's a standard espresso. A minute or so later, an espresso, on a saucer, with mini teaspoon, would slide to a stop in front of you, 1.50Lira. Sugar was on the bar, several spherical chromed sugar bowls, with paper wrapped, double cubed sugar. If you only wanted 1 cube, you broke it in half, rewrapped it and put it back in the sugar bowl. No doubt this has changed since then.
He would be brewing coffees and dealing them like a croupier dealing playing cards. Frothy milked coffees he'd place in front of you, so they didn't spill. Anything else would be slid to you. By the time it had stopped in front of you, he'd be back at the machine, on to the next order.