The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Petchi b

I cannot wait for this! It will keep me warm in the winter months :)

Here is a link to the 3 latest gameplay videos..I must say its looking very impressive..

Dayve

I'm looking forward to it as well, but as with Fallout 3 and Oblivion I don't think I'll play it too much until someone creates an overhaul mod to get rid of nasty console features and other silly things Beth will implement, like level scaling, even though they've said it will be toned down.

Tony1951

Silver Level Poster
have got this on pre order Oblivion was great, couldnt get into fallout. This looks great should have had my new computer for a month when this comes out.
I am on Holiday for two weeks just after it comes out. just got to let the missus know.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I actually never got into Oblivion. I played Morrowind to death and loved every minute of its blockiness.

I think I may have had a few other games when Oblivion came out so perhaps didnt give it enough time, but it just doesnt feel like the "one of the best games ever" games that it seems to be in most forums/mags.

From what I have seen though Skyrim looks to be a step forward, so will likely give it a go :D

Tony1951

Silver Level Poster
I tried Morrowind after Oblivion but I dont think you can go backwards in gaming. I had got used to the characters speaking, not picking dialogue from a list.

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I loved Oblivion, although I mainly did the side quests! Gotta say I am pumped for Skyrim! It's just going to be hard fitting it in with BF3 soon to be released.

Petchi b

I thought Oblivion was an amazing game and the amount of things to do and side quests was staggering. Well over 200 hours of gameplay...you cant get better than that and they say 10 hours is very good for a FPS..phah! The Dark Brotherhood quests could have been a complete game or add-on on its own, the intricacy of the plot twists, characters and quests were incredible.

Im hoping for big things from Skyrim and im sure I wont be disappointed.

I couldn't get into Fallout 3 either, I played a fair bit but never finished it. Maybe because it was on the Xbox..RPG's should be PC exclusives! :)

MeveM

Bright Spark
I prefered Morrowind over Oblivion, but I haven't tried any mods. Can't wait for Skyrim though!

Dayve

I prefered Morrowind over Oblivion, but I haven't tried any mods. Can't wait for Skyrim though!

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul is what makes Oblivion one of the best games of its time (when it was released). It removes the level scaling so that when you emerge from the sewers at the start of the game, you can't just go anywhere you like because some of the enemies are level 50 and you're level 1. Before when you were level 1 all the enemies were level 1, and then when you hit level 2 so did all the enemies, and so on and so forth.

It adds tons of weapons and armours and also new spells, even new books. It makes the world feel like there's actually dangerous enemies out there and not just ones that are your level. It changes the way the economy works. Shopkeepers have limited money like in Morrowind, so if you sell them something for 1000 septims, it will deduct 1000 septims from their inventory and when they have no money left you can only give your stuff away to them.

It adds a bank in the Imperial City market district where you can deposit your money and it earns interest over time. There's also a vault down there where you can deposit your valuable treasure. It literally changes pretty much everything, right down to the way potion bottles look. And since you have such a good PC you could even install the Oblivion graphics mod which makes the game look even more beautiful.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Dayve, is it worth playing now with the graphic mod? Or is it going to look old and rigid?
Also, any chance you could get links to these specific mods that are good? My problem with downloading mods is I'm afraid of getting dodgy files from dodgy sites.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Here are the unofficial specs for the game...

tbh, recommended and minimum are identical except for the cpu, so not sure how accurate these will be. Minimum and recommended 3GB ram seems a little odd, I would have thought ram would be one of the areas that recommended and min would differ, especially on game like this.

Petchi b

tbh, recommended and minimum are identical except for the cpu, so not sure how accurate these will be. Minimum and recommended 3GB ram seems a little odd, I would have thought ram would be one of the areas that recommended and min would differ, especially on game like this.

Yeah I know what you mean but after searching on various sites, these specs are the ones that are mostly shown. I'm sure the recommened specs will differ a little on release. But I dont think you will need a major powerhouse PC to play it at reasonable settings but I'm sure for max settings you will.

Dayve

Dayve, is it worth playing now with the graphic mod? Or is it going to look old and rigid?
Also, any chance you could get links to these specific mods that are good? My problem with downloading mods is I'm afraid of getting dodgy files from dodgy sites.

With a PC like yours it's definitely worth playing with a graphics mod. Oblivion looked great to begin with, but it looks even better with the graphics mod. You should get used to downloading mods as well, it's a big part of what makes PC gaming (incoming opinion) much superior to console gaming.

In this case there's a website dedicated to mods for TES games, www.tesnexus.com

You'll have to sign up (free and quick) and can browse and download all the mods. I won't lie, at first it's kind of overwhelming when you see what you need to do to get the mods installed, but you pick it up really quick and it's actually a lot simpler than it first seems, you just need to dedicate an hour of your time to getting it done and it's worth it a thousand times over.

The mods you'll want to look for are Qarl's texture pack and Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. You'll also need the Oblivion mod manager and script extender which you'll find from that site, along with detailed instructions on how to install each one and more often than not links to Youtube videos which will give you a step by step show about how to do it, which you can follow along with.

Trust me, these mods add about 1000 hours to Oblivion's gameplay, every one well worth the time.

Last edited:

MeveM

Bright Spark
With a PC like yours it's definitely worth playing with a graphics mod. Oblivion looked great to begin with, but it looks even better with the graphics mod. You should get used to downloading mods as well, it's a big part of what makes PC gaming (incoming opinion) much superior to console gaming.

In this case there's a website dedicated to mods for TES games, www.tesnexus.com

You'll have to sign up (free and quick) and can browse and download all the mods. I won't lie, at first it's kind of overwhelming when you see what you need to do to get the mods installed, but you pick it up really quick and it's actually a lot simpler than it first seems, you just need to dedicate an hour of your time to getting it done and it's worth it a thousand times over.

The mods you'll want to look for are Qarl's texture pack and Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. You'll also need the Oblivion mod manager and script extender which you'll find from that site, along with detailed instructions on how to install each one and more often than not links to Youtube videos which will give you a step by step show about how to do it, which you can follow along with.

Trust me, these mods add about 1000 hours to Oblivion's gameplay, every one well worth the time.

Cheers Dayve, I'll have a look into it when I get home, I'll get my old oblivion disc out and install that to start with :p
Was the graphic mod one of the ones you mentioned?

Serendipity

Enthusiast
My internet is going funny, link didn't work for me, anywhere else that would have the list?

Pre-ordered and paid for Skyrim from Amazon this morning.

Petchi b

My internet is going funny, link didn't work for me, anywhere else that would have the list?

Pre-ordered and paid for Skyrim from Amazon this morning.

The link works fine for me. Go on gamespot.com and look up Skyrim, all the news will be there.

And I hope you didn't pay, they should only deduct the money once the game has been despatched.