The Evil Within

Blackdog

Bright Spark
The recent Bethesda announcement - a collaboration with Shinji Mikami (of Resident Evil fame,)looks pretty tempting. I love the survival horror genre, though I can't think of too many titles that have resisted the urge to go for a more action focussed game in recent years. Hope this turns out well and focusses on atmosphere as opposed to filling undead things with bullets. Would love something that recaptures the feel of those early RE or Silent Hill games. I'd be happy with another Alan Wake in this genre also.

Evil Within.jpg

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/02/shinji-mikami-spills-beans-or-more-likely-guts-on-his-survival-horror-comeback-the-evil-within/

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Agree with you Blackdog, i think the survival horror need a bit of a boot.

I want a game sooo scary it makes me sweat, fight not to turn it off, hide behind the controller kind of experience.

I think the original Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Dead Space and Doom 3 had that effect on me.

I didn't fine Alan Wake scary at all just more eery, was and of the DLC any good as i never continued it past the base story. Also i played it when i was in a house with a 12" tele and a mono speaker. Might be different with my cinema set up now.

Blackdog

Bright Spark
Yeah I'm after the same really surreal/horror experience.

I think it was Kruppsy that recommended Alan Wake to me when i ordered my pc: i loved it. For an old game it was sweet, had some cool mechanics (light as a force for good,sanctuary and exploration,) and on hard difficulty it was really quite frantic. Being chased through a forest with half a torch battery left, frantically searching for a light source was really hair-on-the-back-of-your-neck stuff. I also like games that put story at the fore, and I felt this was the case, I actually gave a damn about the characters too which I can't say for many games.

Ill have a look into Dead Space, thanks for the recommendation. My flatmate bought FEAR when it launched, played it for a few hours when I was at work and then returned it. He said he wouldn't permit it to be played in our house, so I'm quite intrigued by that.

Blackdog

Bright Spark
[video=youtube;YWDQN_X5b-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWDQN_X5b-M[/video]

On the line of survival horror here's a new Greenlight game called "among the sleep." You play a two year old in a house possessed by some sort of evil spirit. You are pretty powerless and can only crawl/run/ toddle from the dark forces in the game. This looks good fun, the eery sounds of cutlery rolling along the floor is quite unsettling, really clever touch to take all the power from the player.

Blackdog

Bright Spark
Here's some screenies of the new game. Like I said I love the RE, early Silent Hill games and am hoping this fills a void left by those early experiences. The art style and ominous camera angles look great to me.

e w 1.jpg

e w 2.jpg

e w 3.jpg

e w 4.jpg

e w 5.jpg

Boozad

Prolific Poster
This looks intriguing, very atmospheric and creepy. I'll be the first to admit that I played Resident Evil 2 so much I actually ended up dreaming about it, that's the sort of game I want.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
This looks intriguing, very atmospheric and creepy. I'll be the first to admit that I played Resident Evil 2 so much I actually ended up dreaming about it, that's the sort of game I want.

I use to dream about 300, when I say dream and mean reenact the this is Sparta bit with my mrs when she wasn't looking.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey guys,

Here are the commands for the evil within to unlock the 60FPS and a couple of other goodies that they are apparently going to patch.

To access the debug console, do the following:

In Steam, right click on The Evil Within and select “properties” then under the General tab, hit “set launch options.” Put this in to unlock the console: +com_allowconsole 1

Once the game has launched, hit the Insert key to bring down the developer console.

These are the commands you can use and some notes about each:

R_swapinterval <NUMBER> // Sets the FPS lock. Note that the numbers below are negative. -2: This is the default, set to 30 FPS. This is the officially supported frame rate. -1: This sets the FPS limit to 60. Fully playable, although there may be quirks (we’re going to fix these). 0: This fully unlocks the FPS. We do not recommend playing above 60. We will not fix any issues above 60.

God // God mode. You are effectively invincible, and certain enemy kill moves will not be used against you (Laura, for example, will not jump on you)

Noclip // Allows you to walk through walls

G_infiniteammo // Unlimited ammo (provided you have at least 1 bullet when you enable this)

G_stoptime 1 // Stops time. Note there is a bug right now where using this command causes a UI element to appear on screen. We’re looking to fix that in the near future. Re enable time with g_stoptime 0

Toggledebugcamera // Separates the camera from Sebastian so you can freely move around the

R_forceaspectratio <NUMBER> // Sets the aspect ratio. Default is 2.5, which is our official aspect ratio. 0 is full screen, but not ideal. 1.8 or 2 is probably most comfortable for those who don’t want bars.

Com_showFPS // Turns on id’s native FPS counter

Startslowmotion2 // Slows down time

Stopslowmotion // Disables slow motion

Androcles

Rising Star
I don't think a game has made me really jump since the original Silent Hill came out, I remember playing it in the dark for extra atmosphere and almost having a baby when I opened the shaking locker in the school and that thing jumped out, I knew something would jump out on me but I still jumped anyway, that's how well done it was.

I seriously need more games like that in my life.

Androcles

Rising Star
Yeah I'm after the same really surreal/horror experience.

I think it was Kruppsy that recommended Alan Wake to me when i ordered my pc: i loved it. For an old game it was sweet, had some cool mechanics (light as a force for good,sanctuary and exploration,) and on hard difficulty it was really quite frantic. Being chased through a forest with half a torch battery left, frantically searching for a light source was really hair-on-the-back-of-your-neck stuff. I also like games that put story at the fore, and I felt this was the case, I actually gave a damn about the characters too which I can't say for many games.

I agree totally with that, Alan Wake was and still is an awesome game, my only gripe with it was although it had my hair standing on end it didn't quite deliver the "jump out of your skin" moments I was looking for, it was close but not quite.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Played the first chapter and it does do well at trying to work a lot of bum-clenching moments into what's already an atmospheric game. The graphics are gorgeous and some of the cut scenes are amazing. Hopefully I'll get another hour or so on it tonight.

Evil Within 1.jpg

I forgot to mention, CDKeys has it at £22 including the Fighting Chance pack, and if you like them on Facebook (bleeeugh) you get 5% off your order.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I seriously want this game and for a change am even willing to pay full price for it, which almost never happens!

adator

Enthusiast
If you haven't already then take a look at Alien: Isolation I haven't played either but I am slightly more tempted to get that with it having better reviews it's also meant to be quite jumpy.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you haven't already then take a look at Alien: Isolation I haven't played either but I am slightly more tempted to get that with it having better reviews it's also meant to be quite jumpy.

Have only heard good things about it, looks epic. So many games, so little time.

Keedar

Expert
Playing on ps4.Nothing special.The game is shallow.A bit of blood. I'm in the 9 act and I do not want to play it again.