The fettling has begun

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In the marina here some years ago there used to be a 45ft all carbon fibre yacht. Heaven knows what the thing must have cost, the guy who owned it owned a well known tiling warehouse company in the UK (at least it was well-known at the time!) and clearly had very deep pockets. It had a single wheel in the cockpit, also all carbon fibre and about 4 feet in diameter.

The owner had been moaning to me for some time that his wheel had gone dull and lost the nice shine it had when new. I put him in touch with a good friend of mine who does boat maintenance and he explained that this is what happens to unprotected carbon fibre in the Mediterranean sunshine. The owner insisted that he wanted it replaced so my friend sourced him a new wheel from the manufacturer. The price? £25,000. For a steering wheel!! You could buy a decent second hand 30 foot yacht for that!

The owner told my friend to go ahead and order it (I've no idea what he charged him to replace it!). When he'd swapped them my friend asked the owner what he wanted to do with the old, perfectly good but a bit dull, carbon fibre wheel. The owner told my friend that he could have it! My friend later sold it to another yacht owner with too much money and too little sense for £12,000.....

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Right back on track latest photos after following suggestions from @AgentCooper to invert the radiator, which has enabled me to move the roof fans forward and also butt them up together, and from @Scott to put the GPU power cable through the lower grommet

1631537450807.jpeg

1631537488079.jpeg

1631537567229.jpeg

CMP01

Enthusiast
Must admit I had a similar issue with the Commander placement. Tried shifting it but it was stuck on good enough that I thought I might have to borrow my dad's mallet and bolster (he's a brickie) to knock it off but no... don't want to force and break it. In the end just decided as I was installing 2 extra SSD's to leave the Commander be and get a 2 slot SSD mount for the HDD cage. I also hate cable management but it had to be done (as also installing 4 case fans) and must admit it's done better than on my last build and out of sight anyway.
The only outstanding/WiP issue with this one is the mobo and GPU power cables that came with the PSU. The former is a fat lumpen beast that stands out and is stuck pretty fast in it's gap. The latter, splitter ends that are messy and inflexible. To keep those tidy I had to bind them and arc them over the top of the GPU rather than under, where they flailed about a bit and looked messy. This is pretty much why I've never posted pics anywhere as it's not as clean as could be. I did have a look into cable mods aso but couldn't find any stock for my exact PSU and really don't want to take risks on that score. But yeah... cable management, much ugh.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Must admit I had a similar issue with the Commander placement. Tried shifting it but it was stuck on good enough that I thought I might have to borrow my dad's mallet and bolster (he's a brickie) to knock it off but no... don't want to force and break it. In the end just decided as I was installing 2 extra SSD's to leave the Commander be and get a 2 slot SSD mount for the HDD cage. I also hate cable management but it had to be done (as also installing 4 case fans) and must admit it's done better than on my last build and out of sight anyway.
The only outstanding/WiP issue with this one is the mobo and GPU power cables that came with the PSU. The former is a fat lumpen beast that stands out and is stuck pretty fast in it's gap. The latter, splitter ends that are messy and inflexible. To keep those tidy I had to bind them and arc them over the top of the GPU rather than under, where they flailed about a bit and looked messy. This is pretty much why I've never posted pics anywhere as it's not as clean as could be. I did have a look into cable mods aso but couldn't find any stock for my exact PSU and really don't want to take risks on that score. But yeah... cable management, much ugh.
I've got some cable extensions coming to to vastly improve the GPU power cables

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Might be a touch too much stretch but I don't suppose the cooler pipes would go up the rear of the fans and underneath the RAM dimms would they? Just to have them away from the side of the GPU.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Might be a touch too much stretch but I don't suppose the cooler pipes would go up the rear of the fans and underneath the RAM dimms would they? Just to have them away from the side of the GPU.
That had crossed my mind as well @Scott , I'll take a look when i fit the cable extension(y)

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm pretty sure that's what I did with mine so I think it does work. It'll depend on the GPU length though, I guess.
I've had a quick look through the glass and think it might be aq bit tight on the M.2 shroud/heatsink, but will have a better look tomorrow