The Hobbit

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
After many years of trying - I had to read Lord of the Rings to her, doing all the voices - I've managed to get my wife to read The Hobbit.

She's now complaining to me that she liked Smaug, that he was misunderstood, perhaps even abused as a child! 😖

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
A friend of mine is so into it that all her dogs (king charles spaniels) have been named after characters, sadly frodo and sam are no more but she still has Bilbo & pippin

Stephen M

Author Level
Never managed to work out how they managed to make the Hobbit, a short book, into three long films.

Once watched Der Ruckkehr des Königs with a German friend - that was challenging.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Never managed to work out how they managed to make the Hobbit, a short book, into three long films.

Once watched Der Ruckkehr des Königs with a German friend - that was challenging.
It's easy if you don't care about the source material

Stephen M

Author Level
Very true, I have seen a few films that shared the same title as a book but not much else.

After reading Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy the seeing the excellent BBC adaptation with Alec Guinness I was amazed at how bad the film was, not even sticking to the original story in a few places.

Stephen M

Author Level
Video quality today is amazing. I have always liked badminton and my folks were very keen players. It was awful to watch on TV years ago but been watching the Thai Open on my 75" Samsung with my Dad and we cannot get over how good it is. Just simple things like actually being able to see the shuttle.

Stephen M

Author Level
Back to film versions of books. I remember seeing Orson Welles version of Macbeth, he stuck to the plot fairly well but I never fathomed why the character, "An Old Man" was in it. Thought Shakespeare would have put it in his original if he thought it necessary.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Stephen King's book "The Running Man" published under his alter-ego and the movie of the same name with Arnold Schwarzenegger suffer that same fate..literally the only things the same are the name and the fact that it inolves a game show....in the movie it all takes place in an arena, in the book it's out in the world.
Was really looking forward to the gameshow selection process and to see them running all the sideshows...such as 'Treadmill to Bucks' :p

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
To be fair, the Extended Version of Lord Of The Rings only runs to over 11 hours so, given the time constraints, some stuff clearly needed leaving out ;)

Talking of length, due to the higher quality of 4k and the length, the 3 movies are split over 6 discs!! Can't remember the last time I saw a movie need 2 discs (possibly older DVDs maybe?) :eek:
My question was rhetorical really, they never stick to the text when they turn a book into a movie. And not just because of time constraints either....

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yep there were some big important bits that actually become very important key bits to the full story.
True. So few appreciate that Tom Bombadill was the antithesis of Sauron. He didn't desire the ring, it had no power over him, and he could see Frodo when he wore the ring. Bombadill is the book's only truly good character in opposition to Sauron, its only truly evil character. You can't have one without the other....

Stephen M

Author Level
Sometimes think I should read the books but do rather like being among the select band of people who have never read LOTR or Harry Potter.

On something much lighter at the moment, working my way through the work of Friedrich Nietzsche. Not aware of any films but Richard Strauss did a good musical version of Also Sprach Zarathustra which was used at the beginning of Kubrick's 2001.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Sometimes think I should read the books but do rather like being among the select band of people who have never read LOTR or Harry Potter.

On something much lighter at the moment, working my way through the work of Friedrich Nietzsche. Not aware of any films but Richard Strauss did a good musical version of Also Sprach Zarathustra which was used at the beginning of Kubrick's 2001.
Think I've read all the harry potter books

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Have a huge collection of fiction (very little non-fiction) comprising sci-fi (space opera style, cyberpunk, cyborg), fantasy (Discworld & LOTR) and light horror books on the shelves...but probably bought my last physical copy 5 years ago...everything else is an ebook version (even have duplicates of the ones I have in hard copy).

Lots of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, Terry Pratchett, JRR Tolkien, Neal Asher, Neil Stephenson, Peter F Hamilton, Stephen Baxter, Liu Cixin, Alastair Reynolds, William Gibson, Ian Whates, Gregory Benford, Robert Silverberg, Ray Bradbury, Douglas Adams, Iain Banks / Iain M Banks, Greg Bear, Michael Crichton, Philip K Dick, Neil Gaiman...and about another 100 authors.

Gavras

Master Poster
Have a huge collection of fiction (very little non-fiction) comprising sci-fi (space opera style, cyberpunk, cyborg), fantasy (Discworld & LOTR) and light horror books on the shelves...but probably bought my last physical copy 5 years ago...everything else is an ebook version (even have duplicates of the ones I have in hard copy).

Lots of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, Terry Pratchett, JRR Tolkien, Neal Asher, Neil Stephenson, Peter F Hamilton, Stephen Baxter, Liu Cixin, Alastair Reynolds, William Gibson, Ian Whates, Gregory Benford, Robert Silverberg, Ray Bradbury, Douglas Adams, Iain Banks / Iain M Banks, Greg Bear, Michael Crichton, Philip K Dick, Neil Gaiman...and about another 100 authors.
Similar reading here.

went from about 8 big book cases full of books (not ornaments - it’s a book case).

Then migrated to Kindle, down to one book case with select books, such as signed copies of Magician by Feist, etc.

My copy of the hobbit, is the one I was reading in 3rd year at school and forgot to return it lol.

on Kindle I have Unlimited which pays for its self in a month, I just read a lot.