The new PSAudio FR30 speakers

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, PSAudio are an american audio brand, they've been extremely successful with electronics, amps, DACs, pre amps etc.

For probably the last 8 years or so, they've been really pushing to get into the speaker market. They've been through a couple of designs, the last literally having the full demo unit designed and built, but Paul the owner knew exactly what he was aiming for and it wasn't up to scratch so they went back to the drawing board.

And finally, finally, they've released the Aspen FR30's. These bad boys retail for around $29,000, or about £38,000 (when factoring in import and taxes).

I've posted before, but Paul has a set of the infamous Infinity IRS V's (which he helped design) which were made from '87 to '96 and they only made 58 pairs which sold for around $60,000 each (which given the sheer size of them and all those drivers actually isn't bad). The ones Paul has were rebuilt with the consultancy of Arnie Nudell who originally designed them and was a friend, business partner and mentor to Paul. Arnie is highly regarded as a true legend in the Audio sphere and the IRS V's were often referred to as the best speakers ever made by multiple well regarded reviewers (and owners).

Paul-and-IRS-e1535208462943.jpg

Paul has been faithfully (and obsessively?) working to better the IRS V's which is what this endeavor has been about.

On paper, these things are seriously impressive.

White-683x1024.jpg

To give some idea of scale (this is Chris Brunhaver, the speakers designer, and he's not a small guy):

29E0B247-0241-4EB0-AF85-3E36A12A5868.JPG.a54e1411f659add7f799c968accca4a2.jpg

10" Planar mid range at the top
2 x 2.5" Planar tweaters underneath.
4 active subs
4 passive radiators, 2 on each side.

Now I watch a YouTube channel that Paul does on behalf of PSAudio, and salesman aside, Paul is just a lovely guy, very down to earth and extremely honest.

He swears that the FR30 beats the IRS V, and I truly believe him, he's been in this game for a very long time, and judging by how particular he's been about the finished article, you can tell this is more than just some sales pitch, this has personal blood sweat and tears in it. And PSAudio does extremely well, they don't need to make these, this is his tribute to Arnie.

They're going to do a range of them down to smaller sizes and obviously far cheaper, although we'll still be looking in the few thousands for a pair at the low end.

I'll never get to own any I'm guessing, but I'm seriously hoping I may get a chance to listen to some at some point.

This is a video of the very first pair they'd shipped to a new owner, it's worth a watch. Paul (PSAudio owner) and Chris Brunhaver (speaker designer) went to help set them up for the early buyers.

Last edited: