The ongoing state of GPU's and the madness in the world.

barlew

Godlike
So after being away from the computing scene for a little while due to kids and work I have been shocked yet pleasantly surprised to find that the GPU market is still insane and isn't getting better any time soon.

Due to recent events (another child on the way) my office has had to be changed into a nursery. This means I have had to sell my desktop and become a full time laptop gamer.

I dismantled my desktop and sold my MSI RTX 2070 Super on ebay. Low an behold it sold for £510 Including P+P.

Now I am not complaining but this is absolutely mental. I paid £520 for it brand new 2 years ago!!!!

When this situation first appeared I honestly believed it was going to be a short lived problem however the current state of affairs would suggest other wise. Coupled with the news reported this weekend that Nvidia's efforts to curtail crypto mining with their cards has largely failed, I honestly believe that this is actually going to the the new state of normal for GPU's.

Even when component manufacturing picks up again I think those cards are going to be sucked up by the crypto mining industry.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So after being away from the computing scene for a little while due to kids and work I have been shocked yet pleasantly surprised to find that the GPU market is still insane and isn't getting better any time soon.

Due to recent events (another child on the way) my office has had to be changed into a nursery. This means I have had to sell my desktop and become a full time laptop gamer.

I dismantled my desktop and sold my MSI RTX 2070 Super on ebay. Low an behold it sold for £510 Including P+P.

Now I am not complaining but this is absolutely mental. I paid £520 for it brand new 2 years ago!!!!

When this situation first appeared I honestly believed it was going to be a short lived problem however the current state of affairs would suggest other wise. Coupled with the news reported this weekend that Nvidia's efforts to curtail crypto mining with their cards has largely failed, I honestly believe that this is actually going to the the new state of normal for GPU's.

Even when component manufacturing picks up again I think those cards are going to be sucked up by the crypto mining industry.
Really nice to see you back on here (y)

Firstly, congrats on the upcoming family addition! That's wonderful news, I believe the "lockdown" babies will change the world for the better.

Secondly, bravo on the GPU sale.

It is utterly crazy at the moment. It's not just GPU's though, just seems that any kind of known "value" is completely blown out of all proportion at the moment amongst various things, both tech and otherwise.

For me it's like a bubble in the market that is ready to pop, I just can't see it being sustainable the way it is at the moment and something will have to give.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Great to see you @barlew , and congratulations on the upcoming addition to the family, maybe you and @AgentCooper can swap notes.

£10 depreciation over 2 years, that's crazy low, and yeah i don't think things are going to change any time soon, not on the silicon or pandemic fronts

barlew

Godlike
Firstly thank-you every for your kind words.

Sorry for the delayed response. After my big come back post I had to go away with work for a bit and had no internet.

It would unfortunately appear that I am about to experience the silicone shortage first hand as my new laptop is going back. Separate post to follow.