The passing of a legend in motor sport

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Sadly that great motor racing commentator Murray Walker has passed away at the age of 97

Stephen M

Author Level
Murray Walker was brilliant commentator but also a great fan of motorsport and this love of the game came through in his commentary. Despite having a larger than life character he never allowed his ego to overshadow events.

Bill McLaren, Eddie Waring and John Arlott were similar characters and people all aspiring journalists should study.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I cut my F1 teeth listening to Murray. Nobody has ever come close to his over-excited enthusiasm or love for his sport. We all called him Muddy Talker but it was absolutely a term of affection. My favorite was always "the car in front is unique, except for the one behind which is exactly the same"....

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Growing up, F1 was a big part of my weekends during the season, and a large part of the reason why I was willing to get up in the middle of the night to watch, for example, the Japanese Grand Prix was because of Murray Walker's obvious excitement at all the incidents, which once he'd calmed down he'd explain what had happened. He had clearly a huge love for F1, and was able to get that love across to those listening to his commentary.

Since F1 has gone behind a paywall, I've gone from being a semi-committed F1 fan, to being a casual fan, to not really caring about F1 at all - part of this is because I don't want to pay to watch F1, and part of it is because I don't feel the same level of excitement from more modern commentators.

His death is a truly sad loss for F1.

D

Deleted member 41971

did not hear about this until now, real shame that murrey walker has passed, a legend that many of us grew our love for F1 by listening to him, I remember how for example he handled the shocking death of ayrton senna as both a consimate professional who was also shocked and saddened by senna's death

and also the many memories of F1 commentating style that was far superior to today's commentators, Murrey walker will be sadly missed but also lived life to the fullest and considering he reached 97 which is a good age.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've been watching the F1 pre-season testing all weekend (and still am 'cause it's on as I type this) on F1TV. One of the many commentators they have on there is David Croft and he's just told a story about Murray, who he knew well it seems. Apparently on the last F1 race on which Murray Walker commentated (2001 USA) he was replacing David Croft whose wife was giving birth to their son that weekend. In Murray's usual excited manner he welcomed the audience to the race weekend and explained that David Croft wasn't there because of the birth of his son. He then welcomed David's son by name to the world of F1 - and got the name wrong. David said that this personal "Murrayism" will stay with him forever.

I wonder whether Murray did it on purpose?

Stephen M

Author Level
I cut my F1 teeth listening to Murray. Nobody has ever come close to his over-excited enthusiasm or love for his sport. We all called him Muddy Talker but it was absolutely a term of affection. My favorite was always "the car in front is unique, except for the one behind which is exactly the same"....
One of my favourites as well, I used to love the Colemanballs section of Private Eye. Along with Murray's unique quote, Ted Lowe on Pot Black had a classic with his for those of you watching in black and White the Blue ball is behind the Green - or something like that.

As well as choosing a great commentator, the BBC also got it right with the theme music for Grand Prix. About 3 minutes into the song.

Stephen M

Author Level
There have been a few brilliant choices for music to go with sport and as a cricket fan this is another favourite.

Many years after that was released, most of Booker T and the MGs, who were session musicians, were in the Blues Brothers.