The Pixies

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
you can only get 6 pixies in a screen, this means they have more to paint in a 38” screen compared to a 28” screen.
I represent the Union Of Display Pixies And Associated Ancillary Workers (UDPAAW) and my members can no longer tolerate management's insistence on only 6 pixies per device. As you mention, screen sizes are increasing, display resolutions are increasing and thus the workload of my members is also increasing, but with no corresponding increase in pay or benefits. It's no wonder you're seeing dead pixels when my members get no break time and are forced to often endure long hours painting rapidly changing pixels on ever increasing screen sizes. It's all very well management offering overtime rates for periods over five hours, but my members are entitled to a pixie home life. My members are therefore demanding that management increase the number of pixies per display to ten, with one pixie being on a rest break for a minimum of 1 hour in every 24 hours, no compulsory overtime, and two weeks paid annual leave every year.

"What do we want? MORE PIXIES! When do we want them? NOW!"

Bhuna50

Author Level
are increasing and thus the workload of my members is also increasing, but with no corresponding increase in pay or benefits.

Welcome to the real world, pixies. [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I represent the Union Of Display Pixies And Associated Ancillary Workers (UDPAAW) and my members can no longer tolerate management's insistence on only 6 pixies per device. As you mention, screen sizes are increasing, display resolutions are increasing and thus the workload of my members is also increasing, but with no corresponding increase in pay or benefits. It's no wonder you're seeing dead pixels when my members get no break time and are forced to often endure long hours painting rapidly changing pixels on ever increasing screen sizes. It's all very well management offering overtime rates for periods over five hours, but my members are entitled to a pixie home life. My members are therefore demanding that management increase the number of pixies per display to ten, with one pixie being on a rest break for a minimum of 1 hour in every 24 hours, no compulsory overtime, and two weeks paid annual leave every year.

"What do we want? MORE PIXIES! When do we want them? NOW!"
And of course it takes them ages to get from one side of an ultra wide to the other

Gavras

Master Poster
And of course it takes them ages to get from one side of an ultra wide to the other
This is why FALD is replacing old style backlights.

consider backlights as the transport mechanism for the Pixies.

If your backlight fails, the Pixies are unable to move around and therefore your display fails totally or in part.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This is why FALD is replacing old style backlights.

consider backlights as the transport mechanism for the Pixies.

If your backlight fails, the Pixies are unable to move around and therefore your display fails totally or in part.
Thanks for this. My members will be wanting improved benefits, including free retraining, if management plans to introduce new technology without full and proper consultation with the pixie unions.

Ash_

Master Poster
Whilst I realise you’re trying to be helpful, this is actually quite damaging as it suggests the 3070 is a fair pairing with a 1080p 144hz screen, which it is anything but, it would be a tragic missuse of a high end card for low end monitor.

It’s incredibly important, both for monetary reasons and performance, that the GPU is paired correctly with the monitor.
Yes a 3070 would be a waste on a 1080p monitor, however that is not what i am answering. Is the card capable of 120fps and that is the answer. I’m sure there is enough people already telling him about matching the card to the monitor.

But the OP just wants a simple answer and will then likely ask for more help. What everyone going off topic and patronising OP does, is makes them completely disregard this forum and go and buy what they want anyway.

OP - if you are targeting 1440p gaming at 120, you’re going to want a 1440p 144hz monitor, to take full advantage of the card.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Yes a 3070 would be a waste on a 1080p monitor, however that is not what i am answering. Is the card capable of 120fps and that is the answer. I’m sure there is enough people already telling him about matching the card to the monitor.

But the OP just wants a simple answer and will then likely ask for more help. What everyone going off topic and patronising OP does, is makes them completely disregard this forum and go and buy what they want anyway.

OP - if you are targeting 1440p gaming at 120, you’re going to want a 1440p 144hz monitor, to take full advantage of the card.
People may have gone off topic and poked fun at @Gavras and his pixies but nobody has actually been patronising the OP. Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed today? This is the second post of yours I've seen this morning that has been somewhat curt.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

The problem with asking for a simple answer is that often the answer isn't simple. These fora are not just for answering the questions asked, they're to help educate and enlighten and that's what the massively knowledgeable people like @SpyderTracks and @Gavras are doing.

As for the off-topic fun with the pixies, if you can't have a little fun each day then life is pretty sad.

Ash_

Master Poster
People may have gone off topic and poked fun at @Gavras and his pixies but nobody has actually been patronising the OP. Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed today? This is the second post of yours I've seen this morning that has been somewhat curt.
Believe me, it can very well some across as patronising, to someone new to the forums.

Maybe there should be a thread, about matching cards to screen res, like when someone suggests an intel build 🤣.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Believe me, it can very well some across as patronising, to someone new to the forums.

Maybe there should be a thread, about matching cards to screen res, like when someone suggests an intel build 🤣.
You mean something similar to this

Ash_

Master Poster
The problem with asking for a simple answer is that often the answer isn't simple. These fora are not just for answering the questions asked, they're to help educate and enlighten and that's what the massively knowledgeable people like @SpyderTracks and @Gavras are doing.

As for the off-topic fun with the pixies, if you can't have a little fun each day then life is pretty sad.
I agree, have as much fun as you want, but i just feel this question could have easily been answered in short with:

1080p res + 1080p monitor - yes
1440p res + 1440p monitor - yes
4k res + 4k monitor - no

Ash_

Master Poster
You mean something similar to this

I think it would need only need to be very small. Explaining why native res is the best choice and how for example a 3070 with a 1440p would be better for a prospective buyer, than a 3080 with a 1080p.

But yes, ideally everyone would read that thread, as it does basically explain everything you need to know

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I just feel this question could have easily been answered in short with:

1080p res + 1080p monitor - yes
1440p res + 1440p monitor - yes
4k res + 4k monitor - no
Well yes, it could. The problem with answers like that is that it may not help others who are reading the thread in order to try and figure things out for themselves.

As I said, one of the objectives of these fora is to educate. It would be easy to give yes/no answers but by explaining why (or why not) we help to spread technical knowledge - and that's surely a good thing?

Ash_

Master Poster
Well yes, it could. The problem with answers like that is that it may not help others who are reading the thread in order to try and figure things out for themselves.

As I said, one of the objectives of these fora is to educate. It would be easy to give yes/no answers but by explaining why (or why not) we help to spread technical knowledge - and that's surely a good thing?
Spread the technical knowledge yes, have fun yes. But it can be extremely frustrating, when you want to know a specific thing and are not getting the straight answer.

I feel that giving OP a straight answer and then elaborating on it, is the best approach (in this situation anyway, as it is specifically about the fps).

“Yes it can and here is why”
“No it can’t and here is why”
“Yes it can, but you want to match it with a XXXX”

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Spread the technical knowledge yes, have fun yes. But it can be extremely frustrating, when you want to know a specific thing and are not getting the straight answer.

I feel that giving OP a straight answer and then elaborating on it, is the best approach (in this situation anyway, as it is specifically about the fps).

“Yes it can and here is why”
“No it can’t and here is why”
“Yes it can, but you want to match it with a XXXX”
That's perfectly reasonable. :)

Gavras

Master Poster
Actually if a person understands how panels work, the Pixes are a good analogy.

You want them performing at an optimal level.

This means speccing the wrong card for a screen type either has them overworking and missing things out, or you over spec the card and the blighters (Mod friendly word) don’t work enough, wasting your cash on extra pixies.

everyone needs to understand how pixies, pixels and the pixie generator (gfx card) all work together.

As an Ex Avionics Engineer (Fairy) we fully understand, just where Elves, Pixies, Gremilns and of course Fairies fit in with things, the latter being the ones having to deal with them on a daily basis.

We even had our own workshop - Dingley Dell, where the fairies lived.

Low in some is Humour.

Its snowing outside now, I See Snowflakes.