The Speakers I want when I get a bigger place

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As you know, I'm an audio nut, since learning more about different technologies and approaches, one of the technologies for drivers in general I've become fascinated with is Ribbons, sometimes referred to as AMT or Planar Magnetic.

There are 3 basic designs to speaker / headphone drivers:

1/. Dynamic - The most common "cone" driver, can be mass produced much cheaper.

SpeakerDriver.jpg

2/. Planar Magnetic / "Ribbon" / AMT - Much higher accuracy and detail to the sound, more immediate generation and decay of instruments, because there's far less movement of the film to produce required airflow

diaphragm.jpg

3/. Electrostatic - The Nirvana of any driver, similar to ribbons, extremely costly to produce, needs very high power to run, but sound quality is frankly just not comparable to any other technology. Martin Logan's are pretty famous electrostatic speakers at around £3000 a pair for entry level

electrostatic-speaker-spkrtypl.fit_lim.size_1050x.jpg

Ribbons are famous for much higher quality detail in noise production. But they tend to be hand made as they're so fragile and so cost far more. There is one Chinese manufacturer of headphones - Hifiman, who make some excellent mass produced ribbon headphones, but as far as I know they're the only ones who use an automated process, and the downside is that quality control is quite hit and miss. But they're are definitely exception headphones.

That was my first entry into Ribbon technology when I bought a pair of Hifiman Sundara's at the beginning of the pandemic as a little treat to myself. They are incredible headphones costing about half what you would need to pay for an equivalent sound from another manufacturer. Luckily I've had no issues with mine.

I've always wanted Ribbons in some speakers. Normally, because of the cost involved in producing them, they're relegated to just the tweeter or in very pricey speakers, the midrange also.

But there's an incredible American company called Magnepan who have been manufacturing Ribbon speakers exclusively since the 70's. Up until now, they've all been rather costly requiring a good £2,000 for their entry level model, the .7.

That is up until this model, the LRS (little ribbon speaker) which is just incredible value at £1000 in the UK ($750 in the US!)

041319-Magnepan-600_0.jpg

These things are insanely good in the sound reproduction they can achieve at this cost, there is nothing close from another manufacture that can compete.

The downside to Ribbons is that you really need a sub woofer, which can set you back a further chunk of change, and they tend to require quite a bit of power to drive them which needs a decent quality amplifier.

But as you can see these are really large panels and require a lot of space around them, they can't be anywhere near a wall as they need masses of airflow to feed the diaphragms and it would negatively impact the sound.

But one day, ONE DAY, I shall own a pair!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As above, I just don't have the ear for it. I watch/read/listen to reviews on technology all the time and audiophile terminology I just don't get.

The only time I notice a difference in sound is when something is really, really, obvious.

Free in-ear headphones to WF1000XM3s.... I noticed
WF1000XM3s to WH1000XM3s.... I noticed

On my current system I can't hear any difference between most vinyl and most MP3s in my collection played on the same system. I did notice a very slight difference in some FLAC vs MP3 but otherwise I don't have the ear/concentration.

I would have a set of good technology speakers in an instant though, just for owning them as I love tech :D

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'll have to get a photo of my friend's 'living room' when I go around next, as he services/refurbishes/strips high-end audio gear for a bit of extra income.

It's like going into a hoarder's house...stacked up with TagMclaren and Audiolab amps, pre-amps, power amps, receivers, etc...and you have to carefully navigate the 'corridors' of hi-fi!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'll have to get a photo of my friend's 'living room' when I go around next, as he services/refurbishes/strips high-end audio gear for a bit of extra income.

It's like going into a hoarder's house...stacked up with TagMclaren and Audiolab amps, pre-amps, power amps, receivers, etc...and you have to carefully navigate the 'corridors' of hi-fi!
Heaven!!!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
On my current system I can't hear any difference between most vinyl and most MP3s in my collection played on the same system. I did notice a very slight difference in some FLAC vs MP3 but otherwise I don't have the ear/concentration.
On the vinyl side, you may find that your phono stage is bottlenecking. It's much like configuring a PC, the phono stage is often overlooked, but your current setup is like having a 3080 with a 650W PSU, it's gonna have the capability of hitting far higher and lower than any MP3 or even FLAC could, but it's being limited.

I realise this is highly subjective, but it's definitely worth experimenting if at all possible, if you've got a decent Audio dealer nearby, they'll likely happily lend you a good phono stage to test out in your system, that's really the way to experiment. I came into this thinking I would never notice any difference, and it may well be in my head, but I've got my PC hooked through the same amp and often play digital stuff when I'm just bumbling about, and I can absolutely hear the difference.

BUT BE WARNED!!! I originally had a Project Tube Box S2 which I think I bought on sale somewhere for around £250 IIRC. After my dealers were done with me I forked out for a mid tier PSU on the Trichord Dino Mk3 which was over 3 times the cost. But I could absolutely hear a difference.