The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Cavman

Bronze Level Poster
40% off on steam and i'm tempted to get it. Should i get it or should i play the the first one first?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
No you don't have to play the first one :)

At 40% off I would get it. I didn't get on with it that well, but then had about 6 other games to play at the time, and it just suffered from being the least enjoyable (to me).

That said, it is a solid action/rpg and I will update it one day and actually play it through though :)

(All Steam's fault ofc)

Rakk

The Awesome
Dammit dammit dammit, I'm now seriously tempted .......

Though I still haven't got my car back from the garage and really should not be spending money on games, dammit, dammit, dammit ......

Pete

Bright Spark
does it still have clicky-combo-attack thing ? i found that almost as much of a pain as the respawning enemy. i'm half tempted but more inclined to wait for it to be in the bargain bucket.

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I've heard great things about this game as well. I'm also tempted. Really should finish Skyrim first though...

mishra

Rising Star
Story line is ace, graphics are great, the whole Witcher experience - definitely recommend. Mind you it is rather long game and not "easy" too, so once you're hooked up it's a lot of nights of gameplay. 40% off - wow just get it.
In worst case scenario it will join dozen of other games you probably bought off Steam sale and never really played :p

ps. There is also quite a decent amount of nudity and romance in game :)

Rakk

The Awesome
I know it was a killer on GPU's , how would a GTX460 handle it does anyone reckon?

Cavman

Bronze Level Poster
thanks guys i'm off to buy it now but im playing batman and skyrim just now, wont get to playing it for a while but atleast it will be there!

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
it is an incredibly deep, diverse, beautiful game. The script and dialogue is unbeatable and the voice acting is very convincing.

they have really spent a lot of effort on designing the environments, people have conversations in realtime, it really draws you in, so does the music.

All of it fits, they capture the essence of what they are trying to create perfectly.

it's a funny game too, the characters have real personality, it's probably one of the most convincing games I have ever played.

It is an adult RPG, sexual content or references too, foul language too but this makes it more realistic.

You will be drawn in by this game, the graphics are incredible but the game doesn't run too well.

You can craft items, mix potions, you find plants and herbs and you get components from enemies (their teeth,eyes).

it's just an incredibly well designed, convincing game with great attention to detail, so much work has gone into this game and it is fantastic. you have a quest system obviously but here's the thing, you forget about quests, like in real life, you can't do every quest, you have to choose and these choices affect the storyline and their characters.

JUST BUY IT

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
I know it was a killer on GPU's , how would a GTX460 handle it does anyone reckon?

Not too well I wouldn't imagine.

I have GTX560Ti, i5-2500 3.3ghz x4 8gb 1600mhz RAM and it does have some stutters.

Most of it is to do with how it renders different scenes, such as going from outside a cave to inside the cave etc.

it does have some lag but I haven't noticed any graphical glitches, texture popping, screen tearing etc.

Oh, just a headsup to you and anyone else, to help you out, you have to open up witcherconfigtool because there are limited video options in game.

of course it depends what settings you have it on, i've got mine up to max, not sure about FPS, but it runs Ok for the majority of the time I'm playing it, just some hiccups here and there.

Oh and the game is outstandingly beautiful, the water looks incredible, when you run through it is very realistic with how the ripples in the water are created.

Once you get to the waterfall in the woods by the first village you will see how beautiful the game is!

the caves are also very eerie, the enemies varied, this game is packed with content!

look at the gamespot review if you need more convincing, I bought it straight away, I had to and I don't regret it

Rakk

The Awesome

Not too well I wouldn't imagine.

Well, it picks low settings as a default, but still looks pretty and has no problems running it on those settings so far, cos well, yes, my willpower completely failed me the other day :)

Shame it wont let me use my second monitor when I'm playing the game on my primary monitor though :( had to completely exit the game to go to my browser and find out how to do that stupid arm wrestling thing.

MeveM

Bright Spark
I thought the game was OK. I wasn't blown away with it, I got bored and stopped playing Witcher 1, 2 was more fun though but who ever made the game failed at making it very kind on PC's, it looks less nice the other games, yet kills your PC. I'm pretty sure I had to turn off shadows.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
I thought the game was OK. I wasn't blown away with it, I got bored and stopped playing Witcher 1, 2 was more fun though but who ever made the game failed at making it very kind on PC's, it looks less nice the other games, yet kills your PC. I'm pretty sure I had to turn off shadows.

I have almost the same rig as yours and it was fine on maximum settings, some lag but games do lag. it wasn't consistent frame rate drops, it didn't happen on certain areas, it was just random.

tbh theameplay and story more than makes up for any techinical shortcomings

sorry for spelling