The world’s largest pedestrian suspension bridge has opened Thursday in Portugal.

• Thread starter Deleted member 41971
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 41971

love heights anyone??

"The world's longest pedestrian suspension bridge has been completed in Portugal, and it's opening to the public on Monday.
The record-breaking bridge measures 516 meters (or roughly 1,692 feet) long and is suspended 175 meters (574 feet) above a river. It's in the town of Arouca — about an hour south of Porto — in the UNESCO-recognized Arouca Geopark, an area famous for its nature tourism and outdoor activities".

gettyimages-1230586410-483379de0507ae67546e7e775d4636c047eaada3-s1600-c85 - Copy.jpeg
1619923775322.jpeg

Citrus_9

Expert
While it's a beautiful bridge, view etc... having a fear of heights I want to scream just by looking at this masterpiece. The only chance for me to survive this bridge would be to follow someone with my eyes closed. I admire people liking such extreme experiences.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
If you think that is extreme, try searching for Crib Goch or for Scotland Aonach Eagach. If have walked across both of these - Crib Goch in both directions and adding in Crib Goch North Ridge. One I have tried in the Cuillin Ridge on Skye, where the Inaccessible Pinnacle might cause you some concerns. If you prefer England, Striding Edge isn’t too bad, but Sharp Edge can be demanding.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Yep, same! Thanks god it's not just me... Feeling dizzy just by looking at it 😂
I went to the Sagrada Familia with my wife years ago. We got the elevator to the top of the towers cos we thought it would be a nice view. I didn’t realise the only way down was to cross a walkway from one tower to another and then take the stairs.

The walkway was 300 feet up - with a waist high wall stopping you from falling to your messy death. I was a weeping wreck.

What was interesting was that every female there was leaning over the wall commenting on the amazing views. While every male partner was on their hands a knees calling for their Mummys.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 41971

I went to the Sagrada Familia with my wife years ago. We got the elevator to the top of the towers cos we thought it would be a nice view. I didn’t realise the only way down was to cross a walkway from one tower to another and then take the stairs.

The walkway was 300 feet up - with a waist high wall stopping you from falling to your messy death. I was a weeping wreck.

What was interesting was that every female there was leaning over the wall commenting on the amazing views. While every male partner was on their hands a knees calling for their Mummys.
actually footage of noddypirate on the walkway

Annie Edison GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hands and knees? God that's brave. I'd have been doing a commando crawl flat on my belly.....

Bigfoot

Grand Master
We will have to cure @NoddyPirate of his fear of heights so that all of his passengers don’t desert to Qantas. Come across to the UK and be introduced to ridge walking. We can start easy in the Lake District and progress to more challenging traverses. That Portuguese bridge will be like a walk in the park and you won’t have to close your eyes during takeoff and landing.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
love heights anyone??

"The world's longest pedestrian suspension bridge has been completed in Portugal, and it's opening to the public on Monday.
The record-breaking bridge measures 516 meters (or roughly 1,692 feet) long and is suspended 175 meters (574 feet) above a river. It's in the town of Arouca — about an hour south of Porto — in the UNESCO-recognized Arouca Geopark, an area famous for its nature tourism and outdoor activities".

View attachment 25737View attachment 25738
No way would you get me on that

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I agree. If I was being chased by a hungry and rabid Grizzly bear and the only means of escape was across that bridge, I would rather ask him if he could teach some Portugeuse and then allow him eat me as payment, than try to cross that thing.
My younger sister has a place out in portugal so I've sent her a link and suggested next time she manages to get out there that she goes takes some photos from the center of it.............................

Bigfoot

Grand Master
We will have to cure @NoddyPirate of his fear of heights so that all of his passengers don’t desert to Qantas. Come across to the UK and be introduced to ridge walking. We can start easy in the Lake District and progress to more challenging traverses. That Portuguese bridge will be like a walk in the park and you won’t have to close your eyes during takeoff and landing.
@NoddyPirate you can practice take off and landing on Adam and Eve 🥺 and gain the freedom of Tryfan at the same time. Go on, you know it makes sense 😄