Thermal paste.

CEUOTC

Enthusiast
Hi just a quick one for you guys, l recently got the Vertex III.

Great bit of kit, outstanding service form PCS.

Not reviewed the VIII yet as not really had much hands on with it, however while playing GW2 l noticed the GPU temp climbing to 85'c followed by stuttering as the GPU throttled then the game play carried on.

When l purchased the VIII, l opted for the thermal paste upgrade, does this only cover the CPU or should the GPU be pasted also?

After re-pasting with IC 24 temps now at 76'c max in GW2.

Regards.

C.

Last edited:

CEUOTC

Enthusiast
Just to reply to this thread, great CS, turns out that the thermal paste upgrade is for the CPU only.

Did offer more paste for the GPU.

Again can't fault the CS of PCS.

Regards.

C.

Yamikotai

Expert
That's a bit crap, really. I would've expected them to do both CPU+GPU, plus passive coolers on the mobo if there are any. You can get a 20g syringe of MX-4 for a tenner or so off Amazon, and I imagine PCS get it cheaper in bulk. I have a 4g tube that's lasted me about four desktops (CPU+mobo), two laptops (CPU+GPU), and a couple of desktop GPUs. And I've still got about 10% of it left. So it's really not an expense issue, nor a time issue since they have to put some TIM on.

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
Wow that information amazes me!! so the thermal mx-4 upgrade £9 is only for the cpu in laptops and not gpus? can pcs confirm this?!! i am very dissapointed if it is!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I use Noctua NT H1 thermal paste, came with my d14, had previously been using MX5, which was good, but I think the noctua paste is better.

Yamikotai

Expert
I use Noctua NT H1 thermal paste, came with my d14, had previously been using MX5, which was good, but I think the noctua paste is better.

In terms of heat transfer MX-4 is the best on the consumer market, but there's other factors involved such as viscosity of the material which can affect how easy it is to apply. Personally I find MX-4 the best for that, but it's more of a personal taste thing.

rickne

Master Poster
This is odd. with the 680m guild wars 2 on almost max settings i was not getting hotter than 68 degrees according to gpuz . 70+ on dx11 applications.

CEUOTC

Enthusiast
This is odd. with the 680m guild wars 2 on almost max settings i was not getting hotter than 68 degrees according to gpuz . 70+ on dx11 applications.

Have applied IC 24 and rolled back the divers to Clevo stock.

Will see if this helps.

Regards.

C.