Thermal Performance and Battery Upgradeability in the IONICO 15.6???

Brookes_117

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the IONICO 15.6 and how well (or poorly) the lower profile, 20mm chassis copes with thermals in comparison to the larger Recoil 15.6 model??

Has anyone done any benchmarking?

Additionally, does anyone know if the battery is upgradeable and what is the largest capacity battery that will realistically fit within the 20mm frame or is the 62WH as good as it gets?

Many thanks.

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
Cant help much but PCS dont offer another battery option so I assume you are stuck unless you want to void your warranty. Certainly lasts more than 2 hours but I was in game mode with dGPU. Expect more in office mode.
Running MSFS20 VR (pretty demanding) I get CPU 75-85degC and GPU 70-85degC temperature range depending on aircraft and location. Mines an Ionico 15, 3070, i7, 32Gb.

Brookes_117

Cant help much but PCS dont offer another battery option so I assume you are stuck unless you want to void your warranty. Certainly lasts more than 2 hours but I was in game mode with dGPU. Expect more in office mode.
Running MSFS20 VR (pretty demanding) I get CPU 75-85degC and GPU 70-85degC temperature range depending on aircraft and location. Mines an Ionico 15, 3070, i7, 32Gb.
Cheers Paul. That's not bad at all! I thought the CPU might get to 90+ degrees I know ryzen chips can get as hot as 105degC stated on the website and nobody wants that!! GPU temps between 70-80degC sounds comfortable, I imagine the cooling pad helps a bit though. I do have an elevated open air stand which goes some way to improving airflow. well you've certainly made me feel better about my purchase! I know people suggest the 17.3" version for better thermals but looking at the reviews of the Max-17 from eluktronics vs the max-15 (same tongfang chassis) there's apparently not much difference between the two models in terms of cooling. just the 17" has that 91wh battery. I think I'll stick with the 15 and see what happens!

Thanks!

P.S. I went for the ryzen 9 5900HX, 16GB of RAM and the RTX 3070