Things to do when my PC arrives

MercyJ

Hey guys hoping one of you can give me some tips that a newbie wouldn't know. Just needed a few tips on what to do when my PC arrives as I'm not for technical with them as you can see.

Would appreciate any support

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
IMO the most important things are what NOT to do, so here's my list....

1. Don't run any kind of third party tune-up tool. They're mostly snake oil, any difference they might make is marginal, and I've often seen them cause problems.

2. Don't run any kind of registry cleaner. The Windows registry doesn't need cleaning. I've never seen a problem caused by left over registry entries, but I've seen plenty of problems that the cleaner has caused.

3. Don't automatically trust advice given by 'fix it' websites. I've seen lots of bad advice on some sites. Ask here first, between us all we can probably cover everything.

What spec did you order?

via Tapatalk

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Visually inspect it to make sure it survived the trip. It will have been well packaged, but check it as you'd check anything expensive you just bought.

Follow any instructions about removing packaging e.g. if there's a foam insert inside the case, make sure to take it out before switching the PC on! If you bought a wifi card, make sure the antennae are attached. Anything you need to do should be very clearly signposted.

Check the PC does what you want it to do. e.g. if it's for gaming, is it running your games as you'd expect?

If this is a gaming PC, Firestrike is a popular and free benchmark to check / showcase performance:
(there's a paid version, but you can just use the free version)

You may wish to use something like Realtemp to monitor CPU and GPU temperatures.

But in general you don't have to do anything to the PC unless it's failing to meet your needs, or is otherwise showing a fault of some kind (e.g the CPU hits 100 degrees C, one of the fans is rattling, you get a BSOD when launching a game).

And agreed with the above; avoid snakeoil tuneup products as they're more likely to lead you into a problem than exposing one.

Just enjoy the PC. :)

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
Max out the eye candy. Select "Adjust for best appearance" from advanced system settings. This is for windows animations and small effects that makes for a better flow of things.
If your screen panel can handle more than 60Hz, then just make sure windows is running at that higher refresh rate
That's my 2 cents

MercyJ

IMO the most important things are what NOT to do, so here's my list....

1. Don't run any kind of third party tune-up tool. They're mostly snake oil, any difference they might make is marginal, and I've often seen them cause problems.

2. Don't run any kind of registry cleaner. The Windows registry doesn't need cleaning. I've never seen a problem caused by left over registry entries, but I've seen plenty of problems that the cleaner has caused.

3. Don't automatically trust advice given by 'fix it' websites. I've seen lots of bad advice on some sites. Ask here first, between us all we can probably cover everything.

What spec did you order?

via Tapatalk

Thanks for this! Not really tech savy with PC's still learning quite a bit I'm usually a console gamer

Here's my spec bare in mind it's mostly going to be used for editing/streaming and light gaming

Case
COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500M GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.35GHz/20MB CACHE/AM4)

down_right_arrow.gif
World War Z & Division 2: Gold Edition FREE w/ select AMD Ryzen CPUs!
Motherboard
Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE: DDR4, USB 3.1 - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2933MHz ~ (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!

down_right_arrow.gif
Get Wolfenstein: Young Blood with select NVIDIA GeForce RTX GPUs!
1st Storage Drive
240GB ADATA SU650 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Game Streaming
Elgato Game Capture HD60 PRO - PCIe Card

MercyJ

Visually inspect it to make sure it survived the trip. It will have been well packaged, but check it as you'd check anything expensive you just bought.

Follow any instructions about removing packaging e.g. if there's a foam insert inside the case, make sure to take it out before switching the PC on! If you bought a wifi card, make sure the antennae are attached. Anything you need to do should be very clearly signposted.

Check the PC does what you want it to do. e.g. if it's for gaming, is it running your games as you'd expect?

If this is a gaming PC, Firestrike is a popular and free benchmark to check / showcase performance:

You may wish to use something like Realtemp to monitor CPU and GPU temperatures.

But in general you don't have to do anything to the PC unless it's failing to meet your needs, or is otherwise showing a fault of some kind (e.g the CPU hits 100 degrees C, one of the fans is rattling, you get a BSOD when launching a game).

And agreed with the above; avoid snakeoil tuneup products as they're more likely to lead you into a problem than exposing one.

Really appreciate this dude, funnily enough the build I'm using was one you recommended hopefully it turns out A-okay, I'm just waiting for my LG monitors and Ill be able to check if everything is smooth

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Looking at the posting history I'd recommended it in February. If ordering today, I'd recommend waiting for 7th July for AMD's new and apparently much better CPUs and motherboards to be out :)

MercyJ

Looking at the posting history I'd recommended it in February. If ordering today, I'd recommend waiting for 7th July for AMD's new and apparently much better CPUs and motherboards to be out :)
My PC already came yesterday :( Just got everything going, everything seems to be fine, wish I knew about this before haha

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My PC already came yesterday :( Just got everything going, everything seems to be fine, wish I knew about this before haha
TBH It doesn't matter much when you buy, a few months later it will all be superseded by something better no matter what you get. :)

MercyJ

So my system has been hitting 100c today although bare in mind its 35c in the UK, but I'm not sure if this is standard or there's something I could do to help reduce this? I've opened the case and put my pc in the best position available but the temp's dont seem to be dropping the worst part is I haven't overclocked or gamed on it yet.

Any suggestions?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
100 degrees C?

On the CPU? The GPU? Were you doing anything at the time? Running any stress tests?

What software was telling you the CPU was at 100 degrees C?

MercyJ

100 degrees C?

On the CPU? The GPU? Were you doing anything at the time? Running any stress tests?

What software was telling you the CPU was at 100 degrees C?
Its my CPU only and yes 100c

Ive been running tests all day just because I'm worried my CPU is overheating too much, im using speccy right now

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
100 degrees is way, way too high.

Temps like that, outside of certain torture tests, indicate a hardware issue. e.g. the CPU cooler not being on properly.

I'm not particularly familiar with AMD CPUs and/or Speccy, but Speccy does report a few things oddly. To check it's not a reporting error, look at what the temps are reported as in the BIOS.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So my system has been hitting 100c today although bare in mind its 35c in the UK, but I'm not sure if this is standard or there's something I could do to help reduce this? I've opened the case and put my pc in the best position available but the temp's dont seem to be dropping the worst part is I haven't overclocked or gamed on it yet.

Any suggestions?
The 35C ambient temperature in the UK at the moment shouldn't be an issue. I live on the Greek island of Crete and it's between 30C and 35C every day from June to September and my PCS desktop doesn't have any thermal issues at all.

MercyJ

100 degrees is way, way too high.

Temps like that, outside of certain torture tests, indicate a hardware issue. e.g. the CPU cooler not being on properly.

I'm not particularly familiar with AMD CPUs and/or Speccy, but Speccy does report a few things oddly. To check it's not a reporting error, look at what the temps are reported as in the BIOS.

Im average 35-40c now using core temp, I think speccy was inaccurate, I knew it wasnt my cpu cooler because it seems to be working fine and the airflow where my pc is really good

MercyJ

The 35C ambient temperature in the UK at the moment shouldn't be an issue. I live on the Greek island of Crete and it's between 30C and 35C every day from June to September and my PCS desktop doesn't have any thermal issues at all.
It was definitely the software I was using, do you have any recommendations for cpu temperature monitors?