Thought I'd update my pics.....again....

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Clicky

Made a few changes, any questions or comments feel free to crack on!

I Added a lamptron fc-8 Awesome fan controller, a bit pricey I picked it up from a seller on amazon for 58 quid. Eight channels with 30 watts each, so you could add two or three fans to each channel easily. Comes with eight extension cables, so you need not worry about buying any. Has customisable leds on it, not bad feature but there's no yellow, even though it says there is. Only drawback the manual states it requires at least a 600W PSU, also has connected to the psu using three molex plug thingys. Bit of a pain as the power cables are short on the controller and I had to add extra cable, but its ok. Does the job great and can now run all my fans at max! when needed of course. It is bloody loud though, but I don't care.

Took out the top 200mm fan, for two akasa vipers (yeah I like them) Really helped getting out warm air. You will see I placed a 200mm fan below the drive bays, just to keep airflow flowing to the gpu, I have found the 200mm stock fans are great for shifting air, but they don't seem to be very strong for directing the airflow, just air blows in every direction. ]

The cables behind the drive bay are as tidy as I could get them. Also the cable management behind the motherboard tray. Let me know what you think. I did give it a dust before taking the pics but cant get it all out.

I want to get some decent lighting in there, so I can see everything in Its glory. Not a fan of the blue.

Tom

Petchi b

Very nice Tom. The fan controller does look very good. I'm going to get red LED's in my case..eventually. How hot does the 580 run on full load out of interest?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Thanks
I'm not really into benchmarking or anything like that, so not used any software only gaming to test the times. (Gpu-z) Highest I have noticed it was 76/77C when I first got the rig on Homefront with stock fans on max. Had the settings on highest but didn't bother maxing out anti aliasing. Now when gaming last night on dead island gpu was 74 at the highest (not changed the settings). BF3 Alpha pushed the 580 and I7 hard though, temps for the 580 was about 76/76/77C I find it mostly depends on the weather outside. (was using case stock fans aswell) Didn't really notice the temps of the cpu, as long as its not too high I don't mind, but it certainly gets warm in there. The coolit eco is a great cooler for keeping the temps low.

The case has very good cooling and very good airflow, but dust does like it in there. I added a fan filter behind the fan on the drive bay adapter just to stop dust going on my drives.

Petchi b

Ah right thanks for the info. Do you have your GPU fans on max all the time when gaming? The 6970 is a bugger for getting hot! After a 90 min session on Metro 2033 it was about 93C, the AMD vision default fan control is not very good. I know the temp will not hurt the cards as they can run well over 100C but to me 90C+ is too hot. I have created a custom GPU fan profile with MSI Afterburner, the only thing is 6970 fans are so loud when over 40%..like an aeroplane taking off lol!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I leave the GPU to crack on and manage its self. I don't touch interfere with the gpu at all. Just leave it to do its thing! I'm sure it will know better than myself. At the moment its idling at 35C with fans at 30% 1080rpm, according to GPU Z.

93C is pretty warm, just ensure that hot air can escape. Could you trying removing the expansion brackets below the 6970? In theory the hot air may be able to escape?

Maybe look for something like a Akasa system blower I don't know if they are any good, but there is a few different models with different manufacturers. Antec do a bigger version I think.

Edit - found the antec version

Last edited:

Teaz

Godlike
nice tom. i had that idea before but cant do it as i need my memory card reader which is a shame so no extra fan controller. my cooling is still good however. interesting how your fan hit those temps my 580 have never gone past 68. Just using the traditional stock fans. would like to change the top 200mm to two cougar fans but not enough plugs to control the fans on the stock controller.

I can do all of this if i sacrificed my mem card reader but i use it daily so no can do lol

tom_gr7

Life Serving
interesting how your fan hit those temps my 580 have never gone past 68. Just using the traditional stock fans.

That's pretty good temps, Is ya room it's in nice and chilled? Mine is like a boiler room in an evening, as its the attic all the heat rises up. Moving house tomorrow to live with the missus whilst at uni, so hopefully ambient temps will be a bit cooler.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
is the fan at the top part of one of those HDD bays or somin? and do you wanna donate some fans xD

tom_gr7

Life Serving
is the fan at the top part of one of those HDD bays or somin? and do you wanna donate some fans xD

I used a coolermaster 3 in 4 device

But I took the front off, mounted it behind the front panel thingys of the case, instead of using that minging/useless front. If you wanna get something like that get a Lian Li one, as they don't come with the front.

Erm I do have some spare fans, but I'm afraid I cannot donate any of them to you.

Edit - teaz could you not get a external card reader? Thats what I'm thinking of doing. Don't really know what to do with the internal reader now.

Last edited:

Teaz

Godlike
My ambient room temps i try to keep is around 20-27c just so i could get a nice balance of air for my case. i remeber during round july my room went one time smoking hot of 34c an that was when my 580 smoked up to 68c. if it didnt, my gpu normally hit 56-59c.

I would but i dont see what the point was in the mem card reader in the first place lol. plus that mem card reader is handy as it has a usb port that i use for short usb cable connections and as said, its used on a reg. ive already sacrificed my usb 3 box which was heart breaking just to fit the 4 in 3 device module lol

tom_gr7

Life Serving
My ambient room temps i try to keep is around 20-27c just so i could get a nice balance of air for my case. i remeber during round july my room went one time smoking hot of 34c an that was when my 580 smoked up to 68c. if it didnt, my gpu normally hit 56-59c.

I would but i dont see what the point was in the mem card reader in the first place lol. plus that mem card reader is handy as it has a usb port that i use for short usb cable connections and as said, its used on a reg. ive already sacrificed my usb 3 box which was heart breaking just to fit the 4 in 3 device module lol

Those are good temps! I wonder if it makes a difference that I have a 3gb 580 and using a 42inch toshiba? Going back to a 22 LG tommorrow, so maybe I will see a difference.

Did you get the coolermaster device module? How do you find the velociraptor?