Thoughts and Questions...

Anthony.Ralph

Bronze Level Poster
As my new desktop is now on hold because of the Sandy Bridge situation, I have been doing further reading and thinking about specifications and other things such as heat control. Here are some thoughts/questions which I would be happy to discuss and debate if others are willing:-

o I have specified a FRACTAL DESIGN R3 - BLACK PEARL ATX CASE and although my initial consideration was for quietness, I do realise that heat dissipation is important too. The spec. includes a SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER so I reckon the CPU is looked after, but as my current PC's HDD are running a bit hotter than I would like (38-39deg) I wondered what, if anything I could/should do in addition?

o The primary drive is to be an SSD - 120GB Intel® X25-M 2.5" and because of the obvious delay in production (eta now April/May?) I wonder about the possibility of fitting a new generation SSD, bearing in mind they should be released soon.

o This next point is more thinking aloud than anything else. Currently I am running Windows 7 full copy - Professional version. The version I have ordered is Home Premium. It crosses my mind that I could install Professional on my new PC when it arrives and install the Home premium on the old PC. Of course I could stop being a cheapskate and order Professional for the new PC if it was that important (!) but, as I, said thinking aloud as much as anything. Does anyone have a comment on this?

o As noted above, the case is to be a FRACTAL DESIGN R3 and it has eight HDD bays, albeit with only one CD/DVD bay . With the the Asus P8P67 board having eight SATA ports, I guess I could have seven hard drives installed if I wish? I have specified a CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU and whilst raw power would not seem to be a limiting factor, I wonder about the number of power leads to service such a large (to me) number of drives.

Bearing this last point in mind, I suppose this links back to the first question about cooling, so any comments about this subject really would, at least, help with my education in this area.

Thanks for reading this...

Anthony.

Rakk

The Awesome
o This next point is more thinking aloud than anything else. Currently I am running Windows 7 full copy - Professional version. The version I have ordered is Home Premium. It crosses my mind that I could install Professional on my new PC when it arrives and install the Home premium on the old PC. Of course I could stop being a cheapskate and order Professional for the new PC if it was that important (!) but, as I, said thinking aloud as much as anything. Does anyone have a comment on this?

The versions of Windows from PCS are OEM versions therefore are bound to the machine you buy it with, therefore you won't be able to shovel it onto your other machine I believe.

Anthony.Ralph

Bronze Level Poster
The versions of Windows from PCS are OEM versions therefore are bound to the machine you buy it with, therefore you won't be able to shovel it onto your other machine I believe.

Based on my looking at the copy of Vista Ultimate that I purchased with this machine from PCS four years ago, you are right. Well that leaves me with the option of either leaving things as they are or applying WD40 to the hinges of my wallet if I *really* want the Professional version :) Thanks for the swift reply.

Anthony.