Thoughts on a headset?

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys!

I'm looking to purchase a headset for when I'm gaming but I have no idea where to start. The only headset I have is the one I got with my xbox many years ago! :ROFLMAO:

I'd like it to work both with my xbox and my PC (once I have it set up). I don't want to spend a huge amount but I don't have a budget as I'm not sure what I should be expecting to spend.

Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well I wouldn't know about Xbox but I can strongly recommend the Corsair HS70 Pro Wireless headset for PC, I've tried numerous different headsets but nothing can offer the fullness of the 7.1 surround I get on those for the price. Sennheiser are phenomenal if you have the budget for the high end stuff.

I always see Logitec recommend as well and had a pair before my HS70's but I wouldn't recommend them, hollow tinny sounds and stereo only which wasn't great for what I paid for them. I'll dig out the model number when I get home but I was recommended them on another forum and left really disappointed with them tbh

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Headsets that work with both Xbox and PC are a bit more limited than say those that work with a Playstation and a PC or just a PC as the Xbox does not employ the same USB protocols as PCs and PSs. However, this would be a good place to start to get some ideas:

Steelseries do excellent products as do Razer.

If going for wireless, it is possible to use a wireless headset not designed for the Xbox. I have a Steelseries Arctis 7 and plug it in to my Xbox controller using an adapter and it gives full audio range
Thank you! Certainly getting an adaptor wouldn't be too much of an issue. I had a wee look and I'd be looking at maybe £25 or thereabouts for one. I'd be mostly on the PC I think but I don't want to be limited, you know? I'll definitely check out that link.

How do the Arctis 7 perform?

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Well I wouldn't know about Xbox but I can strongly recommend the Corsair HS70 Pro Wireless headset for PC, I've tried numerous different headsets but nothing can offer the fullness of the 7.1 surround I get on those for the price. Sennheiser are phenomenal if you have the budget for the high end stuff.

I always see Logitec recommend as well and had a pair before my HS70's but I wouldn't recommend them, hollow tinny sounds and stereo only which wasn't great for what I paid for them. I'll dig out the model number when I get home but I was recommended them on another forum and left really disappointed with them tbh
I had a quick look on Amazon at the HS70 Pro and they're definitely getting added to my list of possibilities! I don't think I mind whether they're wired or wireless. Apart from not being attached to anything if I went for wireless lol, is there any other main differences between wired and wireless?

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I had a quick look on Amazon at the HS70 Pro and they're definitely getting added to my list of possibilities! I don't think I mind whether they're wired or wireless. Apart from not being attached to anything if I went for wireless lol, is there any other main differences between wired and wireless?
Be careful on the Corsair HS line only the HS70 Pro's which are wireless offer the full 7.1 surround. The other wired options are not as good nor are they as well made.

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
As to the question of wired versus wireless, a lot of people would say the audio is better on a wired headset, much like internet can often be faster wired rather than Wi-Fi. I can't really say either way as I have only used a wireless headset, even though it is wired through my controller, it's still a wireless headset.

To decide whether you want wired or wireless, you need to look at where you are when you are playing games/talking, are you likely to want to get up and move around while talking, that kind of thing. If you are sitting at the desk all the time and take your headset off when you move around, then I'd say go wired as they are cheaper for similar products; if you like to move around, then wireless...just remember if you have a headset that plugs into the controller through an adapter, you will need to take the controller with you (drove me insane moving my controller round the kitchen as I was making coffee while chatting :ROFLMAO:)
Haha the xbox headset that I have is wired and many a time the controller has ended up being dragged along the floor! (Slight exaggeration lol)

Would you mind if I asked which rechargeable batteries you use? Dare I say I don't have any and just buy them when needed lol.

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Be careful on the Corsair HS line only the HS70 Pro's which are wireless offer the full 7.1 surround. The other wired options are not as good nor are they as well made.
Ok so I have perhaps a silly question, if I were to purchase a cable to connect to the xbox, would I still be able to use the mic? I think what I'm asking is is there a port for a 3.5mm jack and still be able to use the mic?

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Lol I'm so glad you said that because I'm the same. Thank you for those links!

As for the Arctis 7, while they're a little more pricey, I'm here because I value the thoughts and opinions of all you guys here. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to all this. So, I'm going to note down any suggestions you guys make, do some research into them and then come bug you guys with questions! :D If it means I have to pay a little more, I'll do it. :)

Bhuna50

Author Level
A little more than I was hoping to spend but they look great! Added them to my list for ones to look at. Thank you, andjef!

Quantum do a lower range to, 100, 200, etc - so worth looking at the whole range. Please note though that I have only used the on the PC - but if you do have questions when you have done your research and are likely to get these, I can try them out on sons xbox One and PS5 if you want me to see what works etc.

these are a wired set.

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
I was the same when I got mine....I spent a few weeks looking around, looking at top ten lists then researching each one, looking at reviews, asking people on a Discord channel I used to use and so on. The Arctis 7s came out on top for me due to, as I noted before, the wireless-ness and for the retractable mic....however, another headset may come out on top for you.
This is me. Looking at top 10's, looking at reviews and asking others. And in that order usually. I especially like to see what others are using. Reading reviews on a site is great but it does cross my mind at times that not everyone leaves a review or that people only leave a review when they have something negative to post and want to pick fault.

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Quantum do a lower range to, 100, 200, etc - so worth looking at the whole range. Please note though that I have only used the on the PC - but if you do have questions when you have done your research and are likely to get these, I can try them out on sons xbox One and PS5 if you want me to see what works etc.

these are a wired set.
Wow that's very kind of you! Thank you! I would 100% take you up on that offer if I'm to seriously consider them. :)

One of the many reasons why I like this forum.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just to add my 2 cents, I’m another Arctis 7 user and absolutely love them, for the price they’re absolutely superb. My previous headphones cost £350 and had individual drivers for 7.1 in each earcup. I actually prefer the sound on the Arctis 7’s which were just over £100

the added bonus for me is using them for work as they have a retractable mic which is extremely handy, plus you can use them wired or wireless.

dont know how they’d fare with Xbox though.

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Just to add my 2 cents, I’m another Arctis 7 user and absolutely love them, for the price they’re absolutely superb. My previous headphones cost £350 and had individual drivers for 7.1 in each earcup. I actually prefer the sound on the Arctis 7’s which were just over £100

the added bonus for me is using them for work as they have a retractable mic which is extremely handy, plus you can use them wired or wireless.

dont know how they’d fare with Xbox though.
Thank you for your 2 cents lol. I like that they can be used wired or wireless and the price isn't too bad.

I think based on your review and @Nursemorph I'll put this one to the top of my list to look into. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Via an adapter, they work just as well..you can't control the volume via the headphones but you can control it via the adapter itself that plugs into the controller. And they can be used via the controller without being turned on so saves battery life. Obviously you can't change the equaliser or anything but I find the levels of bass and treble etc to be really good anyway
Must admit, I haven't messed with the levels at all either, the bass is lovely, really clean and tight. Really surprised me! Like you say, I'd happily use them for music also.