Thoughts on a monitor?

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys,

Firstly, I'm clueless when it comes to monitors. I recently posted elsewhere asking for thoughts on a desktop pc spec and was given some excellent advice and AgentCooper came up with a spec that would suit my needs. AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti. He also posted a possible option for a monitor, link below:

My questions are:
- are there any other monitors options you guys would recommend around the same sort of price (as the one above is out of stock at the moment)? I don't want to spend much more if possible.
- what would be a good 2nd monitor to have? I want to be able to game (GTA for example) but also do office work and having a 2nd monitor would be very helpful.

Thank you so much in advance for any help. :)

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
So.. a wee update. My PC arrived last week and I'm over the moon. The bad news is that I'm still without a monitor lol. Firstly, I was so sure I was going to be waiting a lot longer for my PC to even get built that I didn't rush. Secondly, lockdown. 😞 I was so hoping to get a wee trip to PC World to get a look at/feel for the monitors before purchasing one online. However, Sturgeon just announced lockdown has been extended until the end of February so for now, my PC remains in its box. 😭

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
When you say it "remains in it's box", please say you at least set it up to make sure it all works properly? Last thing you want is to finally get your monitor to only find an issue with your tower :eek:
I haven't yet. To be honest that's partly because I don't have the space ready for it but also because I have no monitor. Not even the most basic of monitors lol.

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Surely you have a television? Just plug the PC into it via HDMI, set it up, make sure everything runs as it should then pack it away again. If you wait till you get the monitor then find out there's an issue that needs an RMA, you could then have a monitor but no PC for a month!
I so badly want to say I don't own a TV just so I don't feel like such a numpty... 😂

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Don't feel bad...a lot of people don't even consider using a TV as a computer monitor. Up until 8 years ago, I was the same...until i inherited a 24" TV and decided it was better than my 19" monitor...and then I won a 32" TV in a competition so upgraded to that. Now I frequently use a 55" TV as a monitor :ROFLMAO:
Lol that's me! Didn't even cross my mind lol. 55" is about what my TV is lol. This is going to be torture.. unboxing it, setting it up and then packing it away again lol. You're both a genius and a big meanie at the same time haha!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Where i used to work on our BMS system we used to have 72" tv as the monitor, split into 9 separate screens

Cobblers

Enthusiast
My youngest son uses a TV for his PC monitor and interchanges between an XBOX. Out of interest, does a TV monitor, due to the size, effect the performance of a GPU more than a traditional monitor? I'm thinking due to the additional size, ie 27" gaming monitor compared to a 55" TV.

Rakk

The Awesome
My youngest son uses a TV for his PC monitor and interchanges between an XBOX. Out of interest, does a TV monitor, due to the size, effect the performance of a GPU more than a traditional monitor? I'm thinking due to the additional size, ie 27" gaming monitor compared to a 55" TV.
The size doesn't matter, its the resolution and refresh rate that matters, a 1080p TV at 55" will need the same graphics power from the GPU as a 1080p monitor at 24" if they had the same refresh rate, the TV will unlikely be higher than the monitor for refresh rate.

Now if its a 4k TV and not a 4k monitor then yes it'll need a lot more more GPU power

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys!

I've just bought the Samsung G5 32" :D and I have a question about what cable I need. What's HDMI and DisplayPort? Which do I need? I know nothing about either but it's just to know if I need to order another cable or if there's one that comes with the monitor that will do the job.

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Perfect! I'll order that now. Thank you. :) Can I use the HDMI for now if I find that I don't have the patience to wait until Tuesday which is when it would be delivered? :LOL:

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Oh yeah, HDMI is more than fine. HDMI just has a speed limitation for the signal it can carry...DP has a higher threshold
Ah ok. I wondered what the difference was. It was when I was checking to see if I would need a cable that I saw people asking questions about DP and HDMI 1.4, 2.0, 2.1 and I just thought "I know where to ask". Honestly, don't know what I would have done without all the help you guys have given me.

MiniSparks

Bronze Level Poster
Never mind...I got bored:

Thanks lol. I had a quick scan of the Tom's Hardware one before I went to pick up the monitor but it'll need me to have a proper read because there was a lot of reading lol.
So my plan for the rest of the day is to get the office space sorted so I can finally set up everything and once I'm sure my cable management will be to Agent Coopers satisfaction.. I'll post a pic or 2. :D