Thoughts on Vortex IX

marrop

Hi

I've configured a Vortex IX Laptop to what I think are the specs I'm looking for, but can't find any reviews on it online. One particular concern I have is about the screen.

My main passion is motorsport photography, for which I currently use a desktop PC with a good quality 27" 4K display. From next year I'm going to have the opportunity to attend 15 - 20 race meetings hosted over a weekend and will be staying in a motorhome, and will want to do some photo editing "on site", so a Laptop is required. At home I'll plug it into my 4K display, but when away from home I'd still like a decent display to work with.

I'm aiming at a 15" Laptop rather than 17" for portability, and I'd rather go with a 1080p display. I used to be heavily into gaming, and although I'm not so much nowadays I'd still like to play the odd game now and again, and a 144Hz / 240Hz 1080p screen suits me better.

(my intention is the Laptop will replace the desktop, which is an old 3rd-gen i5 and struggles with large Photoshop tasks)

Are there any online reviews of the screen in this Laptop, or does anyone here have any thoughts on its suitability for photo editing work? I'm not talking hugely serious work, my 4K monitor is 10-bit colour calibrated and I'll use that for the important stuff, but if the Laptop's screen is washed out colours / dim / low contrast etc. it'll defeat the purpose of having one.

I've also noticed there are 144Hz and 240Hz versions of the Vortex IX, and the 240Hz version doesn't mention G-Sync, so I'm guessing the 144Hz model would be preferred if I'm going to use it for gaming?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I wouldn't bother with the 240hz vortex, given your fairly casual gaming interests. The 144hz screen also has gsync, which is a great quality of life improvement in gaming, while the 240hz one doesn't.

As for what the screen is like, ask PCS what panel they use (the model number). You can then look up the panel online (it may have been reviewed in other laptops too potentially).

If you go to the Show off your new PC sub forum, you can just search for customer reviews about the Vortex there.
Not sure if this link will work, but give it a try:
Otherwise you can search for yourself.

The laptop is the CLEVO PB50RF chassis. You can always google that and see if you find some reviews / good discussion.