Thumbs up

mikef

I've waited a week in case of teething probs, but none so far, so I'd like to report a big thumbs up for my first PCS build

Spec - Coolermaster Sileo 500, Asus P6X58 PREMIUM, I7-950 @ 3.06, Titan Fenrir EVO, 6B Kingston Hyper-X 1600 RAM, 240GB OCZ Vertex-II SSD, Palit 768MB GTX460

Windows 7 Experience:
CPU 7.5
RAM 7.8
Graphics 7.5
Gaming Graphics 7.5
Primary HD 7.8​

Quiet and cool. Flat out Crysis with AA and very high settings, no core over 54°C.

A minor observation is that the monster cooler looks to be blocking memory slot 1, so I'm guessing memory upgrade means swapping out 3x2GB for 3x4GB at some future point

Well done guys
Mike

The temptation to overclock is strong...

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
Nice rig, wheres the pics?

Lets have some of the cooler blocking ram slots too please!

mikef

Nice rig, wheres the pics?

Lets have some of the cooler blocking ram slots too please!

Here's the monster cooler

2m6rhmp.jpg

2edcmzs.jpg

I didn't unclip the fan, but as far as I can see I wouldn't get another 2GB DDR into slot 1 - of course if PCS already build systems with this MOBO and cooler that use all 6 memory slots, you can tell me different!

Mike

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Nice pic - you must be a photographer or have good Photoshop skills :)

mikef

Just a technojunky - Canon 5D with 580EX flash and a huge L-series 24-70 lens, which is why I can't really get shots inside the case. Photoshop only for resizing the 18MB images, honestly!

sanj

You will be able to fit ram into the first slot,the 120mm fan of the fenrir will have to be removed by unhooking the clip's holding it on to the fenrir,fit the ram and refit the fan,job done!I've built plenty with all ram slot's populated with the same memory module's as your's.

mikef

Thanks Sanj, that's really good to know. 6GB is fine for now, but you know how these things go - one day I may be tempted to started video editing and photoshopping on the PC instead of Mac

This really is a great build, very pleased with it

mikef

You will be able to fit ram into the first slot,the 120mm fan of the fenrir will have to be removed by unhooking the clip's holding it on to the fenrir,fit the ram and refit the fan,job done!I've built plenty with all ram slot's populated with the same memory module's as your's.
I can confirm that this advice was spot on and it only took a couple of minutes to slip the RAM in. The memory has come down in price so no reason not to bump up to 12GB.

sanj

I can confirm that this advice was spot on and it only took a couple of minutes to slip the RAM in. The memory has come down in price so no reason not to bump up to 12GB.

Nice to hear that it all went smoothly,enjoy your pc!