Thunderbolt 3 question

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
@SpyderTracks I was just looking at this https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043485/
Point 5 and 6 mentions USB 2.0 cables and Mini displayport cables, would I need to use any of those? I have a graphics card that is set up and no need for usb 2.0 cables surely as I have enough that came with the computer

For point 7 how do I connect it to the power supply?
I'm feeling like this is beyond me

steaky360

Sorry if I'm stepping on @SpyderTracks toes here. Your PSU will have spare cables either in your welcome pack if its a modular PSU or bundled into the overall cable bundle but not attached to anything.

Its a PCIe 6pin cable from the specs for the card. Looks like this (cable colours might be different but the connector will look the same)

1600771973621.jpeg

Apparently its only needed for the quick charge function? The card might work without-it but suspect its better to have it connected :)

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
I’ve received it today and just wanted to check over something again. It seems the power is just for the charge feature so I can ignore that. But I’m reading the instructions and the only thing it says to connect is to the thunderbolt header, it doesn’t mention the usb2 header at all (but it does come with this cable). I’ve attached instructions from the book that its come with

I assume I can ignore the displayport part too.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 130

steaky360

I would connect the usb header if it was me, but it’s up to you, if it doesn’t work then you may need it plugged in.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The DP connectivity is only if you want to carry video signal over thunderbolt like if you were attaching a Thunderbolt Display, so should be fine without that.