Tinker, tinker, tinker: time for upgrades

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I bought my PC from PCS 18 months ago now and it's great. I didn't know much about PC building at the time (I've learnt a lot since!) and the forum helped me to get it into decent shape. The fundamentals were:
  • Corsair 275R Airflow
  • 5600X on a Tuf X570
  • 1660 Super
  • TX550m
  • 16GB 3200MHz RAM
  • 500GB 970 Evo, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Stock AMD cooler
I've been tinkering with it ever since. First I added an RGB strip. Then I swapped out the stock AMD cooler for my first and true love: a Noctua NH-D15S. Then I added a 980 Pro as a boot drive. Then I swapped out the stock Corsair fans for four Corsair SP120 Elites (and removed the RGB strip). Finally, I removed the existing RAM and put 32GB of 3200MHz RGB RAM in.

So I've updated quite a lot of things, though I haven't touched the core performance-affecting components. With prices dropping, the time could be soon. A 5900X, for example, can be had for just £365 on Amazon, so that may happen soon. (Ideally I'd buy the upgrade from PCS to keep the warranty, but we'll see what they do with their pricing.) A 3060 Ti may also be a good bet as their prices come down towards RRP. I already have a 1440p display: the AOC Q27G2U. If over the next couple of months I could get both of them for under £800, I'd be pretty happy (and I'd have most of a halfway decent gaming PC in spare parts, either to sell or to build up and then sell).

But there is one more non-performance-enhancing upgrade I need to do first, and that's the power supply. I really should have gone for something more powerful back when I ordered it originally, but no use crying over spilt milk. So I've decided to make up for it in a pretty OTT fashion.

1649836170900.png

Today's task is to replace my power supply. Wish me luck. A photo blog will follow, presuming I don't electrocute myself.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I bought my PC from PCS 18 months ago now and it's great. I didn't know much about PC building at the time (I've learnt a lot since!) and the forum helped me to get it into decent shape. The fundamentals were:
  • Corsair 275R Airflow
  • 5600X on a Tuf X570
  • 1660 Super
  • TX550m
  • 16GB 3200MHz RAM
  • Stock AMD cooler
I've been tinkering with it ever since. First I added an RGB strip. Then I swapped out the stock AMD cooler for my first and true love: a Noctua NH-D15S. Then I added a 980 Pro as a boot drive. Then I swapped out the stock Corsair fans for four Corsair SP120 Elites (and removed the RGB strip). Finally, I removed the existing RAM and put 32GB of 3200MHz RGB RAM in.

So I've updated quite a lot of things, though I haven't touched the core performance-affecting components. With prices dropping, the time could be soon. A 5900X, for example, can be had for just £365 on Amazon, so that may happen soon. (Ideally I'd buy the upgrade from PCS to keep the warranty, but we'll see what they do with their pricing.) A 3060 Ti may also be a good bet as their prices come down towards RRP. I already have a 1440p display: the AOC Q27G2U. If over the next couple of months I could get both of them for under £800, I'd be pretty happy (and I'd have most of a halfway decent gaming PC in spare parts, either to sell or to build up and then sell).

But there is one more non-performance-enhancing upgrade I need to do first, and that's the power supply. I really should have gone for something more powerful back when I ordered it originally, but no use crying over spilt milk. So I've decided to make up for it in a pretty OTT fashion.

View attachment 33171

Today's task is to replace my power supply. Wish me luck. A photo blog will follow, presuming I don't electrocute myself.
Rather than the 5900x, it may be worth considering the 5800x3D depending on what your usage scenario is.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Rather than the 5900x, it may be worth considering the 5800x3D depending on what your usage scenario is.
More video production, not much gaming, so probably the 5900X is better. Though I will of course look before I leap!

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
  • Corsair 275R Airflow
  • 5600X on a Tuf X570
  • 1660 Super
  • TX550m
  • 16GB 3200MHz RAM
  • Stock AMD cooler

View attachment 33171

Good luck mate, the PSU can be a little daunting especially if it's your first go at it, the TXm being semi modular I would leave as much plugged into the motherboard as possible so it's easy to trace what cable goes where and then replace them as you go with the new PSU

Once everything is plugged in I would strongly recommend turning the machine on before you decide to start trying to cable manage, once you know everything is working correctly then you can spend the next 6 hours carefully tying each cable and tucking them away into any corner you can find.... or is it just me who does that?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Good luck mate, the PSU can be a little daunting especially if it's your first go at it, the TXm being semi modular I would leave as much plugged into the motherboard as possible so it's easy to trace what cable goes where and then replace them as you go with the new PSU

Once everything is plugged in I would strongly recommend turning the machine on before you decide to start trying to cable manage, once you know everything is working correctly then you can spend the next 6 hours carefully tying each cable and tucking them away into any corner you can find.... or is it just me who does that?
Awesome, that's great advice. Many thanks.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Probably less of an issue since you're moving from Corsair to Corsair, but worth noting that if you're changing PSU to a different brand, always use the cables that come with the new PSU. While the device end of cables is standard, the PSU end is not, so you don't want find you've fried something due to a reverse polarity, etc.

It sometimes helps to take photos of the before, so you can refer back to if needed.

And yes, I'd def be a fan of rigging everything loose and confirming it works before doing cable management. You don't want to find you've wasted hours of work only to find there's a dud connection that you can only get at by pulling everything loose again.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Probably less of an issue since you're moving from Corsair to Corsair, but worth noting that if you're changing PSU to a different brand, always use the cables that come with the new PSU. While the device end of cables is standard, the PSU end is not, so you don't want find you've fried something due to a reverse polarity, etc.

It sometimes helps to take photos of the before, so you can refer back to if needed.

And yes, I'd def be a fan of rigging everything loose and confirming it works before doing cable management. You don't want to find you've wasted hours of work only to find there's a dud connection that you can only get at by pulling everything loose again.
Oh yeah I'm still saying to change all the cables to the new ones that come with the PSU regardless of brand, but you can remove the cables one by one and replace them like for like with the new cables. Can make it much easier to pair which cables should go into which connections when you taking one from a slot and replacing like for like

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Will be doing all these things.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Oh, can I check -- would you suggest rigging it up with the PSU outside the case, or just without doing the careful cable management?

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Oh, can I check -- would you suggest rigging it up with the PSU outside the case, or just without doing the careful cable management?
I think better to install PSU, as it gives a clearer idea of how you need to route cables, how much space you have to stuff excess, etc. You don't want to rig everything outside and then find when you go to put PSU in things don't fit, or you've pulled something loose etc. So just connect all the cables but don't worry about any cable ties etc until you've tested.

Different schools of thought on the cable management approach: do you do the larger cables first, and then tie smaller ones around them, or do the smaller ones first and hide them with larger ones on top. Personal preference I guess.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Very good update progress and hindsight is a wonderful thing with the PSU. Surprised it wasn't mentioned at the time of creation though :)

I would swap out the Noctua for an AIO, especially for video editing. Check what fits but if you can cover the H115i in the case then I think that would be able to follow your builds for the next 10 years or so without too much worry.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Very good update progress and hindsight is a wonderful thing with the PSU. Surprised it wasn't mentioned at the time of creation though :)

I would swap out the Noctua for an AIO, especially for video editing. Check what fits but if you can cover the H115i in the case then I think that would be able to follow your builds for the next 10 years or so without too much worry.
No trash-talking the D15S!

Seriously, I'll bear it in mind, but I think it'll be just fine. Maybe I won't get "4.9GHz all core, silent setting, under 65 degrees" like I do with my 5600X, but that's not precisely necessary. If it turns out to be a problem, I'll change it, but not before!

I think a beefier PSU probably was recommended at the time, but I ignored it because I was a silly fool...

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
No trash-talking the D15S!

Seriously, I'll bear it in mind, but I think it'll be just fine. Maybe I won't get "4.9GHz all core, silent setting, under 65 degrees" like I do with my 5600X, but that's not precisely necessary. If it turns out to be a problem, I'll change it, but not before!

I think a beefier PSU probably was recommended at the time, but I ignored it because I was a silly fool...

I don't think it's necessary, the D15S should handle what you are after.... although, as you say, maybe not optimum.

The thing is though, once you see a good AIO in place it's just night and day to the space and airflow in the case. Good air coolers are big cumbersome monsters IMO.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Regardless of the aesthetics below, there's the airflow consideration also. It's only over periods of time though so I don't think you'll notice massive gains either way, it's just in 2022 I wouldn't do it any other way.

271749.57da8291d6fae322cd7cb4cdabf0f971.1600.jpg

vs

1649844503252.png

Last edited:

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I like the aesthetic of the air cooler! We'll see, but I think I'm very unlikely to change it. As you'll see when I get to photos, it's the single-fan version, rather than the dual fan, so it will look a bit different to that as well.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well, it's done. It took 90 minutes from turning the PC off to having it up and running again with the side panels back on. All things considered, I'm quite pleased with that!

Here's where we started:

PXL_20220413_124338617.jpg

PXL_20220413_124344002.jpg

PXL_20220413_124757748.jpg

As you can tell, the cable management wasn't amazing to start with, mainly thanks to those fans I added on a previous occasion. So at leas I haven't got too much to live up to.

Here's the new kit:

PXL_20220413_124500396.jpg
PXL_20220413_124626844.jpg

PXL_20220413_124648323.jpg

I took the old power supply out. It's quite a contrast in terms of its capabilities!

PXL_20220413_130146129.jpg

I got the cables I needed plugged into the new PSU. These were the motherboard and CPU cables, the single PCIe cable for my 1660 Super, and a single SATA power cable (using two of the three connectors for the RGB lights and the hard drive).

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
As you can tell, the cable management wasn't amazing to start with,

What cable management? :p

It's amazing the difference between a modular and semi modular PSU in terms of connections isn't it.

Would it be neater to bring the GPU power through one of the lower grommets this time around?

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
90minutes is fast dude well done, bit of work now on the cable management side though if it's something that bothers you

The 275R is quite a tight case too if I remember it correctly so not the easiest to hide a bunch of cables in. Be interested to hear your thoughts on the process once you've completed everything

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Here's the PC with all the power cables removed. I also had to remove the cooler, because it is very hard to access the CPU power socket with a D15S in the way. More on that later...

PXL_20220413_130209038.jpg

(I did actually unplug the CPU fan after taking this photo!)

It was at this point that I hit the biggest problem. The new PSU is significantly bigger than the old one, by 40mm. With the cables plugged in, it was no longer possible to fit the power supply into the case because of the hard drive enclosure. So I worked out how to unscrew that, removed the hard drive, moved the enclosure along, fitted the PSU, then put the hard drive enclosure back and re-fitted the hard drive. That was nerve-wracking because I had not expected to have to do it and hadn't looked it up beforehand. As @Steveyg says, the 275R is quite a compact case. This is clearly the downside, especially I could no longer hide a whole bunch of cables between the hard drive enclosure and the power supply as in the "before" picture.

Then it was a case of reconnecting the cables. As @IRLRobinS says, I chose to bring the GPU cable up through the floor of the case rather than together with the 24-pin. That makes it much tidier, I think.

PXL_20220413_132721452.jpg

Then I cleaned the CPU and cooler and reapplied the thermal paste.

PXL_20220413_133142571.jpg

Then I turned the new power supply on, hit the power button and.......

nothing happened. So I plugged the power cable in and tried again: it worked first time. Hurrah!

I spent some time tying cables down as much as I could. (That's "cable management", right?)

PXL_20220413_134832784.jpg

It was at this point that I managed to remove the CPU power connector by pushing the cable from the back. I presume this meant it wasn't in properly the first time! I was determined not to do the cooler again (easy as it is) so fished about left-handed and managed to work it in. A quick boot to prove it was working and I could put the side panels back on, make a cup of tea, and post this exciting story.

Here's the final product:

PXL_20220413_135500921.jpg

It's not the greatest PC building work anyone will ever do, but I'm pretty pleased with it! (I have actually tidied the 24-pin connector up a bit more so it no longer obscures the pretty lights on the RAM.)