To-Do list when PC arrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Okay, so my new PC arrived today. I've found the NVidia drivers easy enough, but my ability stops there and I don't want to download the wrong thing when it comes to the chipset drivers. My motherboard is the Aorus Master.

I have found this page on the Gigabyte website: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver

Is this what I'm looking for?

You get it directly from the Chipset manufacturer. If it's an Intel system, you get it from Intel, AMD comes from AMD :)

Bhuna50

Author Level
You never use the drivers PCS provide for a computer, only for a laptop if it's not a clevo model.

For a PC, you go directly to the component manufacturer website.

For a clevo laptop you go to www.clevo.com.tw

But windows update will normally find all drivers except GPU and any management driver on a laptop like control center, or any audio optimisation like Creative.
Thanks Spyder. How do you know the Clevo equivalent model number to the PCS laptop?

Last edited:

Mask3d

Silver Level Poster
I use these two pieces of Software called Dumo and Sumo.
Think they are sold by a company called KC Software, they scan your system for software (sumo) or drivers (dumo) and report if they are out of date according to latest version info.
Note: Sometimes the latest version isn't for your OS so I don't recommend buying the program/forcing an update.

I use the software, go to the manufacturers site and check for updated drivers/software, often I've found out of date drivers which Windows Update hasn't.

Scoped Badger

Silver Level Poster
So its been 2 hours and @Scoped Badger hasn't posted a picture of his build yet.

I'm disappointed? ;)
Haha, my bad. By the time I got in from work last night, set everything up, sorted the kids out and then myself, taking photos was the last thing on my mind!

I'll make sure I get some sorted soon, although I've no idea what I'm going to take them on that will do the set up justice. I've got a beaten up iPhone 7 and the camera is trash!

Scoped Badger

Silver Level Poster
I’ve no idea what these photos will come out like on the forum.

Also, I’ve realised how none of them do justice to a) just how big the Samsung G7 is and b) just how clean and colorful the build is.

It’s soooo quiet as well. If it wasn’t for the RGB lighting the place up, I wouldn’t even know it was on.

Attachments

• 1BE4F8C9-7FCD-434E-B7BB-C1C59B75A7E3.jpeg
    1BE4F8C9-7FCD-434E-B7BB-C1C59B75A7E3.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 898DBA9E-2946-4000-86A0-0D3AFEFC09BC.jpeg
    898DBA9E-2946-4000-86A0-0D3AFEFC09BC.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 339
  • B6877627-6D0C-40ED-8A28-DCC899AF6380.jpeg
    B6877627-6D0C-40ED-8A28-DCC899AF6380.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 308
  • 576C3BBA-ECFF-4F14-A5D7-5982CE12B6D6.jpeg
    576C3BBA-ECFF-4F14-A5D7-5982CE12B6D6.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 317
  • ED0E43BE-6176-429E-A2C8-32E236C552FF.jpeg
    ED0E43BE-6176-429E-A2C8-32E236C552FF.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 335
  • F0B5DB02-06C9-4809-B66A-502C8CBEBE1A.jpeg
    F0B5DB02-06C9-4809-B66A-502C8CBEBE1A.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 912D2280-4038-4377-9C1F-01771F02699B.jpeg
    912D2280-4038-4377-9C1F-01771F02699B.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 329

nigpd

Bronze Level Poster
Apologies for jumping on the OP's thread, but i will be getting my build soon and have a question, if I may?

From what I read, a clean install of Windows 10 is the preferred way to go with a new PC. I'll be getting a copy ready by downloading to a nice clean USB stick and working out how to get the boot up process to look at the USB stick and not anywhere else.

My question is, is there a right way to delete the PCS loaded version of Windows 10 before doing a fresh install? TIA

nigpd

Bronze Level Poster
Doing a proper fresh install will overwrite the previously installed version of Windows anyway. As to starting the process, I was under the impression that you'd need to go into BIOS, change the boot order to get it to boot from USB and restart...however, I reinstalled Windows simply by clicking on the USB install from within Windows and it worked fine (I just clicked on it like I would any other program)
thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'm not nervous about this lot.... honest 🤣🤣🤣

BT81

Enthusiast
Just a couple of question. Good thread by the way!
1. I need to update windows a million time when my PC arrives
2. I need to ensure I have transferred all my documents (photo's / uni stuff) on my laptop to onedrive!
3. How do I check that my steam saves are 'in the cloud' ?

And the biggest 'headache' I have (first world problems)

I have a keyboard and mouse that I use on my worklap - They aren't bluetooth (as my work laptop doesn't allow bluetooh...!) - but they both come with a USB adaptor to plug it - Is there something I can buy that means I plus the USB's in a central location. So I don't have to swap them around all the time?
The other option is. I have a surface keyboard and mouse which are Bluetooth. Happy to use that (assume it works with non surfaces devices?)

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
2. I need to ensure I have transferred all my documents (photo's / uni stuff) on my laptop to onedrive!

I have a keyboard and mouse that I use on my worklap - They aren't bluetooth (as my work laptop doesn't allow bluetooh...!) - but they both come with a USB adaptor to plug it - Is there something I can buy that means I plus the USB's in a central location. So I don't have to swap them around all the time?
The other option is. I have a surface keyboard and mouse which are Bluetooth. Happy to use that (assume it works with non surfaces devices?)
Not sure I can help with the other questions, but if you have any doubts about where your Steam saves are, this article may be useful - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129 - it advises on how to transfer your library between computers, as well as where saves often end up.

Bhuna50

Author Level

1. Always best to run windows update as many times as it needs to ensure it is ... up to date - this will help avoid many issues arising where drivers etc are not up to date.

2. Backing up of files is always good housekeeping as you never know when a drive will fail.

3. Steam settings - Cloud - Make sure "Enable Steam cloud sychronization for applications which support it" is ticked. Although this may not cover 100% of games, it covers most - however if you save files locally to your machine, refer to point 2 above...

You might be able to get a USB hub / docking station for your laptop? Speak with your works IT department if you have one.

A USB hub basically plugs into USB on laptop but allows 3/4 USBs to connect to it, so you would only need to plug the one cable in then...

Status
Not open for further replies.