To-Do list when PC arrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Yep, that’ll take care of everything on the primary drive. Is there a secondary drive in the system?

Gavras

Master Poster
Also that
On a slightly related note, the PC I'm currently using will now be the family computer. If I wanted to completely wipe everything on here, what's the best way to do it? A clean install of Windows?
yes a complete clean install of windows.

then update it to latest and greatest drivers etc and any applications needed for family.

then make sure virus scan updated and regular lol.

Scoped Badger

Silver Level Poster
Yep, that’ll take care of everything on the primary drive. Is there a secondary drive in the system?
No, just the one drive. The original HDD failed years ago and I never had the need to place it, so just stuck with the SSD.

With Windows already installed, do I need to buy another copy? I don't have the product key or CD from the current copy, they got lost in the multiple house moves over the years I imagine.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
No, just the one drive. The original HDD failed years ago and I never had the need to place it, so just stuck with the SSD.

With Windows already installed, do I need to buy another copy? I don't have the product key or CD from the current copy, they got lost in the multiple house moves over the years I imagine.

You shouldn't need to worry as your system information should be logged on the M$ servers and automatically activate.

If you want to be doubly sure you can link your license to an account if you have an outlook/hotmail account already. If not you can sign up and just link your system.

Mask3d

Silver Level Poster
Talking about backups, what are the recommendations for external HDDs?
The last time I touched a ExHDD was 2006 when I worked at Maplin so I imagine things have moved on from then especially with the introduction of both SSD's and USB3.

Are Seagate still on par with Western Digital?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The last time I touched a ExHDD was 2006 when I worked at Maplin so I imagine things have moved on from then especially with the introduction of both SSD's and USB3.

NAS is the way to go, but takes an initial investment.

For drives, either Seagate Firecuda's (noisy though) or WD Reds.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

My main External is a 4TB WD My book

Gavras

Master Poster
You shouldn't need to worry as your system information should be logged on the M$ servers and automatically activate.

If you want to be doubly sure you can link your license to an account if you have an outlook/hotmail account already. If not you can sign up and just link your system.
Definitely get it linked and turn 2FA on ASAP.

Have the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard downloaded and copied along side the above.
Thanks, definitely going to use all this too!

For the chipset drivers for my motherboard, do I need JUST the chipset drivers or all other drivers for it too? (VGA, Audio, LAN, Wireless etc. etc.)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Thanks, definitely going to use all this too!

For the chipset drivers for my motherboard, do I need JUST the chipset drivers or all other drivers for it too? (VGA, Audio, LAN, Wireless etc. etc.)

Just the chipset for starters, I would sometimes have the Wireless/Lan handy too, in case it's required for access (rare).

You then allow Windows to update as much as it can and fill in any blanks from the various websites.

Scoped Badger

Silver Level Poster
Have the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard downloaded and copied along side the above.
Okay, so my new PC arrived today. I've found the NVidia drivers easy enough, but my ability stops there and I don't want to download the wrong thing when it comes to the chipset drivers. My motherboard is the Aorus Master.

I have found this page on the Gigabyte website: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver

Is this what I'm looking for?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay, so my new PC arrived today. I've found the NVidia drivers easy enough, but my ability stops there and I don't want to download the wrong thing when it comes to the chipset drivers. My motherboard is the Aorus Master.

I have found this page on the Gigabyte website: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver

Is this what I'm looking for?
Firstly you run windows update and that should install most things, if not all of them.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Do you have drivers on your PCS support page / order page at all - to be used if Win10 doesnt install / update for you? Or should we be totally ignoring the drivers PCS provide?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Do you have drivers on your PCS support page / order page at all - to be used if Win10 doesnt install / update for you? Or should we be totally ignoring the drivers PCS provide?
You never use the drivers PCS provide for a computer, only for a laptop if it's not a clevo model.

For a PC, you go directly to the component manufacturer website.

For a clevo laptop you go to www.clevo.com.tw

But windows update will normally find all drivers except GPU and any management driver on a laptop like control center, or any audio optimisation like Creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.