To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my PC for a while but can't seem to convince myself that anything needs upgrading. I've thought about every component individually but seem to find a reason not to do it, and they seem to be good ones. What do you think?

• RAM - Already have 8GB and the only really intensive stuff I do is game plus some Photoshop work so 8GB is plenty.
  • CPU - The one I've been toying with the most, I'd love an i7 and should have ordered the 4770k when I ordered but I rushed. Having said that, the i5 has been more than ample since I've had it so do I really need an i7?
  • SSD - I have my OS and a few programs on mine, there's 155GB free space and it will stay that way. I manage it well. I thought about a secondary one solely for games, but the loading times don't bother me at all so do I really need one?
  • GPU - I've thought about the 780ti and even a Titan, or Titan Black. I'd like either but again, the 780 is more than ample for what I need so why bother?
  • 27" monitor - This is the one I'll probably do. My Samsung 24" is fine and has been brilliant, but I'm a sucker for bigger is better when it comes to TVs and monitors. This is the most appealing of the lot.

So I'll probably be asking which 27" monitor is the best soon. My rig is perfect for me I think and I'll probably only upgrade anything when I order a new one, but all input is greatly appreciated!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I wouldn't upgrade anything apart from the monitor, perhaps a higher resolution monitor. If you wish to upgrade the gpu best thing and more cost effective is dual GTX 780s which will outperform the titan black or gtx 780 ti.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd go dual screens mate. You dont need to upgrade anything else.

could maybe OC the cpu, a little? not too much, just a little.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I'd love to run a dual/tri monitor setup but my desk won't fit two monitors in the space. I'd have to work on the missus if I planned on getting another monitor and a new desk as well...

LFFPicard

Godlike
You could upgrade the GPU and sell me the old one :D

But for monitor, just upgrade to the 27" version of your 24", I have always gone Samsung for everything and never regretted it. Even paid over the odds for my second monitor to match my first as it had been discontinued but I had to have them both the same!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Not enough space on your desk? How high/low is your ceiling?

Ergotron_33_091_200_DS100_Dual_Monitor_Vertical_Desk_Stand_400.jpg

or better still...

kt330-frame-200-lg.jpg

EMVPF1500-1x3-18BLG.jpg

Problem solved! :D

Boozad

Prolific Poster
If I had room for a tri monitor setup I'd go for it, I'd really love one but at the moment I just can't do it as I don't have the room.

So I've been looking at monitors the past few days and I've spotted this one which looks pretty decent but I thought I'd ask the experts. Link. A 27" 120Hz BenQ gaming monitor.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If there is space for 2 monitors to hang off the edge of the desk then you could use a monitor stand similar to what was suggested above but for horizontal. All the stand will require is a single stand part in the centre and the monitors will span to the side of it

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Chop the sides, and put the tower at the bottom. Simples :)
I like the bowls at the top, just for decoration?

Last edited:

bigben

Master Poster
If you really want to upgrade something, how about a soundcard?

I think that monitor is the older and larger version of mine which I really like. The colours weren't great out of the box but I did some tweaking and they are fine now.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I like the bowls at the top, just for decoration?

Yep. They match the colour of the curtains and stuff.

If you really want to upgrade something, how about a soundcard?

I think that monitor is the older and larger version of mine which I really like. The colours weren't great out of the box but I did some tweaking and they are fine now.

To be honest I'm happy with the sound from the Sabertooth through my headphones, if it was rubbish I would have done though. Nice to know the monitor's decent, cheers mate.

Bear with a blue nose? You big softy Booz :)

Forgot that was there!

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
  • RAM - Already have 8GB and the only really intensive stuff I do is game plus some Photoshop work so 8GB is plenty. You need at least 64gb of ram these days
  • CPU - The one I've been toying with the most, I'd love an i7 and should have ordered the 4770k when I ordered but I rushed. Having said that, the i5 has been more than ample since I've had it so do I really need an i7? You should get the i7 exterme edition, or an 8 core Xeon, everything else is pretty crap
  • SSD - I have my OS and a few programs on mine, there's 155GB free space and it will stay that way. I manage it well. I thought about a secondary one solely for games, but the loading times don't bother me at all so do I really need one? Get 2x 1tb SSDs from samsung, they're dirt cheap
  • GPU - I've thought about the 780ti and even a Titan, or Titan Black. I'd like either but again, the 780 is more than ample for what I need so why bother? Get three Titan Blacks, you need to game in 4k to be a true gamer
  • 27" monitor - This is the one I'll probably do. My Samsung 24" is fine and has been brilliant, but I'm a sucker for bigger is better when it comes to TVs and monitors. This is the most appealing of the lot.
get 4x 4k monitors because you can

I hope you take these realistic changes into consideration because it'll be a worthwhile upgrade (I'm just ****ing around before everyone hates on me :p )