Torn between 4K and 1440

Danoptic

So I’ve just had my system delivered from PCS and it runs like a dream

having the rtx3080 in there I’m torn between the Asus XG27UQ to game at 4K or something like the Samsung G7 for 240hz at 1440p

I think I’m leaning more towards 1440 as I will have the new consoles hooked To my CX to have at 4K.

any other monitors recommended out there, is 4K gaming on a 27” monitor worth it?

Gavras

Master Poster
So I’ve just had my system delivered from PCS and it runs like a dream

having the rtx3080 in there I’m torn between the Asus XG27UQ to game at 4K or something like the Samsung G7 for 240hz at 1440p

I think I’m leaning more towards 1440 as I will have the new consoles hooked To my CX to have at 4K.

any other monitors recommended out there, is 4K gaming on a 27” monitor worth it?

have a read through this.

Display Ninja has some decent articles.

personally for decent use of 4K you are looking at 32” upwards.

Also look in to monitors that have HDMI 2.1. (Display port 2.0 is the next standard for DP).

If you go for a low spec monitor, then it sort of makes the 3080 a pointless expense.

You also need to read up on the HDMI cables for 2.1 monitors.

also, these are panels due out 2020.

Last edited:

Danoptic

have a read through this.

Display Ninja has some decent articles.

personally for decent use of 4K you are looking at 32” upwards.

Also look in to monitors that have HDMI 2.1. (Display port 2.0 is the next standard for DP).

If you go for a low spec monitor, then it sort of makes the 3080 a pointless expense.

You also need to read up on the HDMI cables for 2.1 monitors.

Thanks

I was under the impression that DP 1.4 could do 4K120?

oh and I also know about HDMI 2.1 as it was one of the reasons I bought the LG CX

Gavras

Master Poster
Thanks

I was under the impression that DP 1.4 could do 4K120?
Yes but you have a 3080 so should take full advantage of latest tech that supports it.

For example 32” 4K screen at 144hz using HDMI 2.1

it’s this buying a Ferrari and only driving it at 30 mph all the time.

Danoptic

Yes but you have a 3080 so should take full advantage of latest tech that supports it.

For example 32” 4K screen at 144hz using HDMI 2.1

it’s this buying a Ferrari and only driving it at 30 mph all the time.
I understand, DP 1.4 can output 4K 144hz though.

I think 32” will be a little to big for me, I’d get away with a curve but I don’t think there are any 32” 4K 144hz monitors which is why I was looking at the G7

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I understand, DP 1.4 can output 4K 144hz though.

I think 32” will be a little to big for me, I’d get away with a curve but I don’t think there are any 32” 4K 144hz monitors which is why I was looking at the G7
There are lots of 32” high refresh 4k?

Danoptic

What’s the size limitation?

For 1440p 240hz, the 3080 is not going to get fully used, just throwing money away, a 3070 would have been better.
The size isn’t the issue I think looking at a 32” monitor that close may be to much? I might be completely wrong so please correct me!

So I have a budget of £1000... 4K 144hz
Best options, say screen size dont matter

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The size isn’t the issue I think looking at a 32” monitor that close may be to much? I might be completely wrong so please correct me!
For 4k, 32” is really the minimum. Most decent monitors are more like 40” and upwards.

This is a fraction over budget but has full HDR600 support which vastly improves colour depth.

ROG Strix XG438Q HDR Large Gaming Monitor — 43-Inch, 4K (3840 x 2160), 120 Hz, FreeSync 2 HDR, Displayhdr 600, Dci-P3 90%, Shadow Boost, 10W Speaker*2, Remote Control https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VV59NVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_iVWBFb480SZ0F

Danoptic

Damn that things like a TV... I’ll dig around a little to see if there’s something slightly smaller

thanks though

Danoptic

Not sure if this one is any good nor whether you can find stocks of it but it is a 27" 4k 144Hz display:

Rog Strix 4k 144Hz
Yes I mentioned that one in my first post as I was looking at this or the Samsung G7 if I was going the 1440 route.
My uncle is a manager at appliances direct (part of laptopsdirect) so I’m going to see if he can price match it at 799.99 or see if his discount beats it 😂

Danoptic

Okay your all going to hate me but I’ve gone for the MSI MPG341CQR

34” ultra wide at 144hz

this is my first proper gaming PC and I’ve always wanted to see an ultra wide in action, I was considering the Samsung G7 but the curve looks way to much!

I will look at 4K 120hz+ Towards the end of next year... hopefully they will be slightly cheaper!

coming from consoles I’m sure 144hz will be very eye pleasing!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay your all going to hate me but I’ve gone for the MSI MPG341CQR

34” ultra wide at 144hz

this is my first proper gaming PC and I’ve always wanted to see an ultra wide in action, I was considering the Samsung G7 but the curve looks way to much!

I will look at 4K 120hz+ Towards the end of next year... hopefully they will be slightly cheaper!

coming from consoles I’m sure 144hz will be very eye pleasing!
You may as well just get a 3070 then, you're not going to use the 3080.

The G9 would make much more sense if you want widescreen with the 3080.

Danoptic

I already have the 3080 in,

I have it in the same room as my LG CX so any game I want a better experience I can connect the PC to the TV with a controller and play at 4K 120 :)

blueflake

I have to disagree with this. If you check benchmarks for 1440p and especially 1440p ultrawide, there are many many games where 3080 wont be able to hit 144hz+ frame rates at all. Sure in some games you can reduce settings, but it doesnt help everywhere and of course you would rather keep eye candy on.

Newer games are always going to be more and more demanding. Ray tracing will be more and more popular etc.

I would say 3080 is a perfect match for 1440p if you are fan of fluid frame rates, and want to keep it that way for couple years.

Danoptic

I have to disagree with this. If you check benchmarks for 1440p and especially 1440p ultrawide, there are many many games where 3080 wont be able to hit 144hz+ frame rates at all. Sure in some games you can reduce settings, but it doesnt help everywhere and of course you would rather keep eye candy on.

Newer games are always going to be more and more demanding. Ray tracing will be more and more popular etc.

I would say 3080 is a perfect match for 1440p if you are fan of fluid frame rates, and want to keep it that way for couple years.
Which I why I went for an ultra wide as they need more horsepower.

move been playing No Mans Sky on the new monitor and it looks phenomenal! Max settings and it’s running around 120-130 fps

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
there are many many games where 3080 wont be able to hit 144hz+ frame rates at all.
Did anyone say it would do? We said it's a 144Hz card, that doesn't mean it's going to hit 144Hz in every game, that's not what that means, that means that there are 60Hz monitors and 144Hz monitors and it's overpowered for 60hz monitors ergo it's a 144Hz monitor pairing.

On average it will be well over 60FPS in most games, in 90% of games older than 2 years it will hit over 100fps. A 60Hz monitor would be a waste of it's potential.
That's underestimating the card. That's like saying a 2080ti is a 1440p card, it's not in anyway shape or form.

It's also completely missing out on the importance of DLSS with 3000 series cards.

blueflake

Did anyone say it would do? We said it's a 144Hz card, that doesn't mean it's going to hit 144Hz in every game, that's not what that means, that means that there are 60Hz monitors and 144Hz monitors and it's overpowered for 60hz monitors ergo it's a 144Hz monitor pairing.

On average it will be well over 60FPS in most games, in 90% of games older than 2 years it will hit over 100fps. A 60Hz monitor would be a waste of it's potential.

That's underestimating the card. That's like saying a 2080ti is a 1440p card, it's not in anyway shape or form.

It's also completely missing out on the importance of DLSS with 3000 series cards.

I dont want to make this an argument, but...

Guy stated his monitor was "34” ultra wide at 144hz"
You said in answer to that post "You may as well just get a 3070 then, you're not going to use the 3080."

To be able to utilize that monitor, 3080 is better much match in my opinion.
You can check ultrawide 1440p benchmarks from the net. Most new "top games" wont hit close to that 144hz, some are already around 60fps.
Games will get more demanding. DLSS wont change that, though it will mitigate some negate impact from ray tracing.

Its a personal choice. My recommendation is 3080 for 1440p+ high fps gaming.