Total Warhammer 1 and 2

barlew

Godlike
So these are two games I have had sat in my Steam library for years and have never really played either. My understanding is because I own both I can play the content from TW1 in TW2.

Is this correct? Would I be missing anything if If I skipped 1 and jumped into TW2 and played Mortal Empires?

I've googled this but there is more opinions on that matter than i care to count.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Yes, that is correct you get to play both at the same time. Though there are differences by playing the 2nd compared to 1st (factions, starting places...)

No, if I were you I'd jump right into the second one, ie ME. It's just two games into one.

Reason I'm getting an upgrade in fairness, my laptop would get half way through the game and the Campaign map would be slow and chopping, plus the thing would push out ALOT of heat due to the GPU being near limits.

It's a good series of games though and can be a proper time sink.

Have you ever played the earlier TW games? (I started at Rome 2)

barlew

Godlike
Yes, that is correct you get to play both at the same time. Though there are differences by playing the 2nd compared to 1st (factions, starting places...)

No, if I were you I'd jump right into the second one, ie ME. It's just two games into one.

Reason I'm getting an upgrade in fairness, my laptop would get half way through the game and the Campaign map would be slow and chopping, plus the thing would push out ALOT of heat due to the GPU being near limits.

It's a good series of games though and can be a proper time sink.

Have you ever played the earlier TW games? (I started at Rome 2)
Excellent news thanks for the info @Cobblers I appreciate it.
Yeh I have played loads of them. I think the first I played was the original Shogun Total War back in the day.

I'll get TW2 installed and jump in.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Well if fantasy crossed with TW is your thing then you should have an enjoyable gaming experience. Lot's of factions to choose from too and lords to pick from.... Vampires are my personal fav!

barlew

Godlike
Well if fantasy crossed with TW is your thing then you should have an enjoyable gaming experience. Lot's of factions to choose from too and lords to pick from.... Vampires are my personal fav!
I think ill kick it off with Dwarfs. I have a secret love of Warhammer so I am looking forward to it.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Sorry to jump in and do a bit of a hijack on your thread @barlew, but would anyone have any tips to help me get a foothold in the Total War games? I’d just started the first Warhammer and was getting annihilated when my old PC died (I’m pretty sure the game contributed to the death of the system). I might give it another go...

barlew

Godlike
Sorry to jump in and do a bit of a hijack on your thread @barlew, but would anyone have any tips to help me get a foothold in the Total War games? I’d just started the first Warhammer and was getting annihilated when my old PC died (I’m pretty sure the game contributed to the death of the system). I might give it another go...
High jack away mate.

Shogun Total War 2.

Absolute master piece.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
@AgentCooper - There is a steepish learning curve at the beginning if you aren't used to playing this sort of game before.

First thing to note is who likes you and who doesn't - especially those who you are already at war with and who that faction might be able to encourage to go to war with you at the same time. So diplomacy is big in this game and there can be major repercussions for breaking certain diplomatic treaties.

Don't go extend yourself at the start... better to build up your home province first before expanding out further.

Warhammer TW series is different from other games they've realised in that it's not simply horses, spears and arrows. In other words, every faction has similar or vastly different play mechanics compared to the next faction. So a faction that suits you play style (offensive, mass expansion) may not suit mine (defensive/slow builder).

The easiest faction is the Vampires... the only thing they don't get is ranged infantry and do very well at all others. Also easy to manage armies due to how you can raise them from the dead. Light Elves are probably the strongest faction. Whatever you pick the first 20 turns will determine your "start" and how tough the remainder of the middle campaign will be. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to start all over again and not repeating same mistakes from the last time.

If you want help then I'd suggest watching some of this guy: LEGEND OF TOTAL WAR. Some of his play style can be a little cheesey, but he gives good examples as to how to play the game against the AI. If you want to do PvP then I'd suggest looking elsewhere. Check out what faction you are potentially interested in and look up some of his "let's play XXX Faction" videos. This should get you going on the right track.

TGP

I've been watching you tubes by this guy.... lots of really useful stuff....

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I've been watching you tubes by this guy.... lots of really useful stuff....

I love that when I clicked that link I was greeted by this image...

38AF7512-5342-4D4B-8BD2-A3571FE584BD.jpeg

Really doing wonders for my confidence there...

CMP01

Enthusiast
Aha, a TW: Warhammer thread.

Must say a fair part of the gaming capability that I'm upgrading for (just ordered a PC here) is to get ahead of Warhammer 3 with a lot more gaming horsepower (and a resolution jump too)

Combining TW with WFB was a stroke of genius and tbh a great marriage. Been a fan of TW since Shogun 1, and of Games Workshop in general since the early 90's (and they had enough money from me over the years)

I will say this though, I do have my concerns re Warhammer 3.
Firstly, there was a huge performance drop between game 1 and 2, for nothing much better in return for that deficit. It's known certain settings are unreasonably draining (SSAO, shadows, blood etc) but even without those...
Then there's the patching/bugfixes, you might get some bugs dealt with but always get plenty new ones, and maybe a return of old ones too, for each patch, rework and DLC, and the schedule for them is months apart.
I personally had a still inexplicable experience where not only Warhammer 2 but it's predecessor too (a few days later) first got weird then just stopped working. Neither would run, with no fixes, solutions, nada (and trust me, I tried every idea, even crazy ones, to fix it) My PC was fine, all other games too. One day, after 6 months, they just started working again. I think I lost a good many nm off of my teeth from the grinding...

And here's the thing, the game overall is getting ever bigger. It's an old, patchwork engine by now, was creaky enough with TW: Attila. Imagine all that untidy code they keep stacking on now like Buckaroo. I can see game 3 simply continuing with the same issues while half of CA's staff go off to make another sloppy Sagas or other unwanted title.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, concept, IP and lore (the only GW based game that I'd rather see, if done justice, would be Epic 40K, my greatest TT love) but man, the issues it had and has... CA really could have done a better job and made better decisions on several levels, especially them knowing this series would be by far the biggest thing they'd undertake, possibly ever. It deserves better.