Transfer stuff, Vista to Windows 7

Jasper

I ordered 2 new computers just today.

Existing: Vista SP2 32 bit.
New: Windows 7 64 bit.

How do I transfer everything from old to new but not Windows Vista?

Typical applications
MS software eg MS Word, Excel and stuff like that.
Internet Explorer (7 I think but might be 8) with my favourites.
Windows Live Mail.

The tricky bits:
Internet Sign Ins and Passwords.
Steam, Steam Games, HL2 mods.

Is this possible?

JSG10

Expert
MS Software you won't be able to transfer, you'll need the CD-ROM that you should have installed it all from.

IE favourites, if you go to the desktop you should see a folder with the PC name? In there you'll find your favourites folder, I'd either email it to yourself or stick it on a USB stick as it'll only be a small size and transfer it that way.

Windows Live mail, you'll have to reinstall that, input login details and it should retrieve all your emails like it did when you first installed it.

Don't know about sign ins but I know all mine so I'm going to get the PC to forget them all and just manually input them on the new one.

Never used Steam :(

Sleinous

Author Level
I ordered 2 new computers just today.

Existing: Vista SP2 32 bit.
New: Windows 7 64 bit.

How do I transfer everything from old to new but not Windows Vista?

Typical applications
MS software eg MS Word, Excel and stuff like that.
Internet Explorer (7 I think but might be 8) with my favourites.
Windows Live Mail.

The tricky bits:
Internet Sign Ins and Passwords.
Steam, Steam Games, HL2 mods.

Is this possible?

Windows live mail: In the program itself, save all your accounts (export them), (export all mail too)

Bookmarks / favourites - export all of these too as HTML

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
You need to install the programs you wish to use on your new computer, such as MS Word or Windows Live. Make a note of your passwords and enter these on the applications on your new computer. The only data you physically need to transfer is your videos/music/pictures/documents, etc. There are several ways that this can be done, depending on the amount of data you wish to transfer. The easiest way is to copy the data to a USB drive and move it across.