Trouble connecting controller with PC - Lagging, glitches & disconnects

Novice

Can anyone please help? Tried calling PCS several times but long call queues and given up.

Bought my son a gaming PC for Xmas and he wants to use controller as used on his PS4 for the last 3-4years.

My son has tried connecting PS4 standard and scuff controllers to his PC using the USB wire and using bluetooth too at different times (bought bluetooth dongle and paired ok) and he says the controllers keep disconnecting and lagging too. As a result he is getting fed up with the PC and is now just using his PS4 again. I'm gutted as his dad, after spending £1300 on all the kit for his Xmas present. He doesn't want to learn keyboard and mouse playing as he says he does not want to have to relearn and is good at gaming using the controller.

Is there an obvious fix for this, to get a controller working on the PC effectively, or options I can try for him?

Would really appreciate anyone's help, thank you.

steaky360

Can you post your PCs specs from your order page? Just so we know what we're looking at?

Try moving the bluetooth dongle to a 'front facing' port (i.e closest to where your son sits) see if that helps. Failing that, you might be better off using a different controller perhaps?

Novice

Thank you. Dongle is at the front currently/front facing but not making any difference unfortunately.

PC is: Tornado R3 Gaming PC, AMD Ryzen 3, GTX 1650, 1 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD. Hope this helps.

Any suggestions?

Also, are there specific controllers confirmed to work best with this kind of PC and not suffer connectivity issues via cable and/or bluetooth?

Many thanks.

Novice

Thank you Nursemorph. Grateful you took the time to reply!

I'll download the DS4 software as you've recommended tonight.

Could the cable be an issue too? Are they fragile?

If above fail, are you confident the XBox One controller will be more compatible with the PC and work better? I only ask as I've bought 3-4 controllers in the last 2-3 years including the Scuff controller as a gift, which was pricy. Keen to avoid buying any more unless high chance it'll make a difference.

Thank you Nursemorph. Grateful you took the time to reply!

I'll download the DS4 software as you've recommended tonight.

Could the cable be an issue too? Are they fragile?

If above fail, are you confident the XBox One controller will be more compatible with the PC and work better? I only ask as I've bought 3-4 controllers in the last 2-3 years including the Scuff controller as a gift, which was pricy. Keen to avoid buying any more unless high chance it'll make a difference.
You can buy an official Xbox for PC controller which comes with a wireless dongle which just plugs and and windows connects it straight away - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8807511?clickSR=slp:term:xbox pc controller:35:172:2