Trying Linux for the very first time - dual boot with Windows

jimobasa

On my desktop computer, I have Windows 7 professional on one partition and a second completely empty partition on which I am thinking about installing Linux. Is there anything I should know about restarting my PC with the USB containing the Linux set up attached. Never done this before and I'm very nervous. What I do not want to do is screw up my Windows. The version of Linux is Mint 18 Cinnamon 64 Bit (my Windows is 64 Bit)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
You can indeed do this - the instructions here: https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux-mint-16-dual-boot-windows/ relate to Mint 16 but it's the same process.

However, if you're only trying it out for now, why not just boot into a Live CD/USB environment and give it a go? That way if you decide you don't get along with it, you haven't made any changes to your system.

Mint is a good distro for anyone coming from Windows, I find, but my personal preference is for CentOS

mishra

Rising Star
... or try VirtualBox solution. It's free, relatively easy to setup and no chances of messing things up.

While LiveCD is a great way to check things up... it is painfully slow, so bear that in mind.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Depends...I had a small SSD sitting around. Hooked it up via a USB 3.0 cradle and it flew.

Otherwise it is slow though, yeah.

I've had issues with VirtualBox and Linux - particularly Mint. Cinammon would simply stop with random memory crash errors. There were numerous bug reports open for it. Never saw them in Vmware Workstation, either.

mishra

Rising Star
I don't quite follow. Live CD is using your DVD drive to run from and that is what make it slow. Unless you had a Mint ISO image saved on your SSD and you booted from there? If so then yeah it would be much faster.

Going back to OP question. I would try to stay away from dual boot as much as possible if you are not 100% sure what you are doing. Chances are things go wrong and while it can be fixed it could take you loads of time. Either go with LiveCD option to test things out or go with virtualization as a more permanent solution.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I'd image the machine first, just to be safe.

The only thing you really need to be aware of is being dead sure to choose the correct partition.

Otherwise fixing boot problems is as easy as running BCDEDIT or booting to a Windows DVD and choosing repair.