Trying to enter old laptop HDD into new laptop hdd bay

Hi guys,

I recently got my Vortex IV (15 inch version) and am trying to put one of the two old laptop HDD's into the Vortex IV optical hdd caddy. It has the right size, but it doesn't seem like the connections are ever going to fit. I was under the impression that this would work (what good is having a HDD caddy if no HDD will fit), am I doing anything wrong? The instructions on the bay itself are unreadable.

lruf.jpg

h9ld.jpg

m3g8.jpg

mqq7.jpg

Aaah, I just found out what I needed to do: There's a connector on top of the connector (on the HDD itself) that you can easily peel off. After that, it fits. I've now put the HDD in and it's working, however if I shake my laptop even a little bit I can literally hear my hdd bouncing around. Is that supposed to be the case?? :/

mishra

Rising Star
Some drives are rattly by design (especially old ones) but if the noise is quite significant then your drive is most likely on it's last legs. The noise you can hear could be the head or retaining bracket damaging disk platters. As a safety precaution backup all your data immediately! Then install software called HDtune (free version not PRO) and perform full disk scan. Who knows you may just have a super rattly hard drive and you will be fine... thought, I would never trust such hard drive - especially since hard drives are so cheap to replace.