Trying to open my laptop but got a stripped screw at the corner of the laptop

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
Hey guys, so I am trying to do my yearly maintenance and have been in the process of unscrewing the bottom, however it has led to one of the screws (on the corner) to get stripped because it was so unbelievably tight screwed. I need suggestions with unscrewing it somehow. Tried with foil cuz got no rubber bands but yeah... didn't work

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would use one of the screws that are OK to get a perfect fitting screwdriver. It needs to be exact and offer a good grip on the screw head, and then try that.

Most of the time this happens due to an imperfect bit size on the screw and can be rectified with the correct one, at least enough to get the screw out.

If this doesn't work, my next port of call is a favourable plain/flat bit. These can typically be used to get enough purchase to get the screw out.

After that you're probably onto an easy out or maybe even drilling.

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
I would use one of the screws that are OK to get a perfect fitting screwdriver. It needs to be exact and offer a good grip on the screw head, and then try that.

Most of the time this happens due to an imperfect bit size on the screw and can be rectified with the correct one, at least enough to get the screw out.

If this doesn't work, my next port of call is a favourable plain/flat bit. These can typically be used to get enough purchase to get the screw out.

After that you're probably onto an easy out or maybe even drilling.
I mean, the last screw is still stuck. I can't get it out

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I mean, the last screw is still stuck. I can't get it out

I know. I'm not sure why you would think I thought otherwise?

Take one of the screws that you got out without issue
Find the perfect fitting screwdriver bit. By perfect, I mean when you take one of the screws you already have out and make sure that the screwdriver grips it and holds it tightly... the perfect fit. If it's not perfect, find a screwdriver/bit that is before continuing.
Carefully and slowly put firm pressure on it using the palm of your hand and try to get it started.

Like I said above, most of the time it's an ill fitting screwdriver that causes this issue. Having a tight screw just highlights the problem.

If that doesn't work, see flat head comment.
If that doesn't work, see easy out/drilling comment

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
I know. I'm not sure why you would think I thought otherwise?

Take one of the screws that you got out without issue
Find the perfect fitting screwdriver bit. By perfect, I mean when you take one of the screws you already have out and make sure that the screwdriver grips it and holds it tightly... the perfect fit. If it's not perfect, find a screwdriver/bit that is before continuing.
Carefully and slowly put firm pressure on it using the palm of your hand and try to get it started.

Like I said above, most of the time it's an ill fitting screwdriver that causes this issue. Having a tight screw just highlights the problem.

If that doesn't work, see flat head comment.
If that doesn't work, see easy out/drilling comment
Your wording was a bit confusing, but I now get what you mean.

Problem is the small flat one probably will fit but the problem is the screw has a circle in the middle, and while there is still a bit of a cross remaining, I can't get a grip on the screw. Tried even doing it at an angle. As for a drill, I dont have one, otherwise I would have unscrewed that ages ago xP

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Your wording was a bit confusing, but I now get what you mean.

Problem is the small flat one probably will fit but the problem is the screw has a circle in the middle, and while there is still a bit of a cross remaining, I can't get a grip on the screw. Tried even doing it at an angle. As for a drill, I dont have one, otherwise I would have unscrewed that ages ago xP

This is what I mean by using a perfectly fitting screwdriver. You need to get a precision set or borrow a precision set, in order to get the right fit. This will give you the best chance of extraction without drilling. It needs to be exact for it to work though as ham fistedness with the incorrect tools will only make matters worse unfortunately.

You only have a few options.

Put it back together and live without doing whatever you were looking to do.
Attempt to remove the screw using a precision fit screwdriver
Attempt to remove the screw using a flat, but still precise screwdriver
Remove the screw by drilling
Break the fixing
Take to someone to do the above for you

Unfortunately I don't have any hacks that will work for you. The rubber band trick tends to only work with larger screws. Similar with an easy out, you might get lucky but it would need to be some size.