two OS on the same pc ??

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
Out of curiosity, I wonder if you'd like to discuss why you actually need Windows? If you are a gamer, then you probably do, but otherwise, there seem to be excellent apps native to Linux that can do everything Windows can do. Sorry if this is intrusive - please feel free to ignore.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ive always been curious to see what open source os can actually offer,seems to be it can remove the shackles of microsoft,but to be honest i like playing games,so maybe it's not for me,i thought i could have both running on the one computer.

Gorman

Author Level
Hey, I'm proud of myself. I managed to get right through that without for once saying "Why on earth would anyone in their right mind want to have Windows these days?":p

I am very proud of you.

Linuxitis is a debilitating form of Tourette's that affects far too many.

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
I just found this link: http://www.ohbuntu.blogspot.com/2009/11/repair-grub2-after-install-windows-7.html If it works, that might be a simple answer? I've just got an inkling that Microsoft will issue a security update to re-break grub though. It is a fact that they are worried about the progress that OpenSource is making. BTW, if any of you go to OpenSource Expo next Wednesday or Thursday, come and see me on the UbuntuUK stand in the .org village.

Gamers at the moment are the one 'no hope' area for Linux as all the commercial games are targeted to Windows. My daughter does a bit of gaming, but all online, so she just uses Firefox.

Last edited:

Tom DWC

Linuxitis is a debilitating form of Tourette's that affects far too many.

A friend of mine has a case of this that despite my best efforts I've been unable to cure.

But hey it's free so I spose it can do no wrong really.

Tom DWC

Windows 7 requires far more processor power than these lovely little machines can offer.

Yeah Ubuntu is more lightweight I'll give it that. I've installed it on a few really old systems and it's given them a new lease of life - without costing a penny.