Two Sleep or not to Sleep? That is the question....

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
What's the consensus? Let your PC go to sleep after a period of time to save energy or leave it on from dawn to dusk to be nice to the components?

I had my new PC sleeping, but I just don't like the click of the power turning off and the thought of my fans and HDD in particular getting sudden knocks on the head to get out of bed whenever I make it wake up again?

I have changed the power profile to not sleep ever now. Just my screen turns off. What do the rest of you do?

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Thanks Barlew. I've found myself in fear of increasing power on/off cycles - thermal cycles in particular - a throw back from my long lost engineering days perhaps - but it has me wondering what's theory and myth and what's reality!!

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I shut mine down when it's not in use, the start up that quick these days I don't see the point of sleep

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
So perhaps I might rephrase the question:

Sleep is widely accepted as a bad idea - dumping active work into RAM - keeping RAM awake during sleep to maintain memory - then trying to restart from where it left off. However, what are the pros/cons around leaving your computer running all day, rather than shutting down and starting it up again maybe 4, 5, 6 or more times a day?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So perhaps I might rephrase the question:

Sleep is widely accepted as a bad idea - dumping active work into RAM - keeping RAM awake during sleep to maintain memory - then trying to restart from where it left off. However, what are the pros/cons around leaving your computer running all day, rather than shutting down and starting it up again maybe 4, 5, 6 or more times a day?
The only really important implication is the (fairly small) cost of the electricity used. I have left every PC I've owned for the last 30 years powered on 24 x 7, partly so I can run automatic backups overnight, but mainly because IMO it's better for the PC. In that 30 years I've never had a PC fail, they've all been replaced because they were outdated.

Laptops are a different kettle of fish however, I would not lave a laptop on 24 x 7 longterm.

I leave mine in Sleep. The only issue I have is once in a blue moon the corsair icue RGB software wont sync properly when I wake it up and only a restart solves it. (using the software does nothing)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Even though I’ve not touched it for over three weeks, mine is still switched on and running. I’ve just had a wander over to it and all it wanted was a little update for ETS2.

I’d do a restart if required but otherwise I’m quite happy to let it be.

Besides, my RGB is set to red at the moment and it gives that corner of the room a lovely glow 😜

Even though I’ve not touched it for over three weeks, mine is still switched on and running. I’ve just had a wander over to it and all it wanted was a little update for ETS2.

I’d do a restart if required but otherwise I’m quite happy to let it be.

Besides, my RGB is set to red at the moment and it gives that corner of the room a lovely glow 😜
By the window I bet 😉