ubuntu 18.04 laptop - monitor not detected

erik_0000

Bronze Level Poster
i purchased a laptop and monitor from PCS. i installed ubuntu 18.04 to the laptop and connected the monitor and at the start it all worked fine. but after an update the laptop stopped recognizing the monitor.

i typed up a post describing the problem, but PCS Forums implement Cloudfare protection which prevents me from posting the text because it objects to something in my post.

please see instead a similar message that i posted to Ask Ubuntu:

ubuntu 18.04 laptop - monitor not detected

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I see from your comment in that topic that it's working now.. not sure why that would have fixed it either, but glad to hear it did :)

erik_0000

Bronze Level Poster
thanks! :)

i have two theories as to what happened:

1) one system update broke it, and another fixed it. since i did many updates along the way, this would mean that the break and the fix both came down within a couple of days, which seems unlikely.

2) i broke it by hitting Fn+F? (change output) and fixed it later by reversing that operation. the problem with this theory is that it only started working after a reboot, whereas i would expect those function keys to take effect immediately.

i am taking the laptop on the road with me next week. i will plug it back in to the monitor the monday after, if it's still working then then i will regard the problem as fixed!

apart from that hiccup everything is working perfectly. many thanks again for all your help. i am working on a review (10/10) and will post it when it's done.