Uh-oh!

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
Looks like I need to replace my Vortex IV Elite sooner rather than later...
IMG_20220112_144723.jpg

It's been crashing every time I try to run a game for a week now. Today this started happening.

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
I cleaned out the fans a couple of days ago after a couple of crashes, they were a little matted between the fan and the vents. I had it re-pasted less than a year ago.

I just ordered a replacement (Defiance IX) within the last hour!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I cleaned out the fans a couple of days ago after a couple of crashes, they were a little matted between the fan and the vents. I had it re-pasted less than a year ago.

I just ordered a replacement (Defiance IX) within the last hour!
Ah, you've got a replacement on the way then. Still could just be overheating if you wanted to hand it down.

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
It won't boot all the way to Windows now. It went through a "repairing" cycle and restarted, but no improvement.
1642074523525.png

Last edited:

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
Ooh, it's booted up in 1024x768 rez... I think I'll leave it switched off until the new machine arrives.

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
So when the new machine arrives, if I can't get the old one to start up reliably, what's the best (cheapest) way to get the data off my old hard drives? I've seen adverts for USB devices that connect to drives, but they look like they might be Facebook scam adverts.

This looks like it should do the trick: