Ultimate Video Editing Processor

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I was just wondering - I do a lot of editing - I was wondering what the ultimate processor would be for editing? Or what kind of range?

Currently I have the 3770k which works like a dream - but I was wondering if anyone could give me like a processing hierarchy?

I'm still learning so this would be useful to know.

I know obviously it goes i3/i5/i7 (i9 next?!) but what about when you get into really top-end professional editing?

Any input appreciated :)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Are Xeon better than i7 extreme? For that kind of thing... I thought Xeon were mostly for server stuff..

Videomaker.com said:
That being said, the best price for speed bargains are almost always found in the technology one model year back. Much like the way the previous model year’s cars are sold at a discount, previous model processors are sold at a steep discount as well. Consider the Intel previous model Core i7-3770K processor. It runs at 3.5 GHz and has four cores yet is only $357 - a steal for any serious editor. Plus, on major benchmark websites, the 3770K rounded out the top ten in both the Premiere Pro CS6 rendering tests and the After Effects CS6 render test. Not only is that affordable, it should keep your edit station humming for years to come.

Last edited:

mishra

Rising Star
I'm pretty sure i7 and Xeon are the same stuff nowadays. Differences will be minimal. Reason Xeon's are used in servers is that Xeon support ECC memory, where i7 do not. On top of that I would be willing to say that i7 will overclock far easier than Xeons - but have no facts to support this, only my gut feeling.