Ultranote overheating and shutting itself down

jammin

Hi, I bought an ultranote laptop as a Christmas present for my daughter. I only just found out that it's been overheating every day. She told me it turns itself off whenever she plays minecraft, further questioning and it basically turns itself off after a few hours use whatever she's doing. I couldn't find anything in the logs so I started logging the CPU temp every 10 minutes.

From switch on it runs at about 60C but quickly ramps up to 80C+ even with very minimal CPU load. As soon as she tries anything slightly taxing, the temperature shoots up and the laptop turns itself off.

I assume these are passively cooled (if not I have a broken fan!). She runs it on a laptop stand with the vents hanging off the back.
It's been doing it from brand new, so I doubt it's dust buildup. The room hasn't been particularly hot. Is this normal for these laptops or did I just get a lemon?

Any advice or should I return and see if they can find any issues like a dislodged heatsink or similar?

Specs
Operating System
Debian GNU/Linux 11 (Bullseye) - I run an identical install on several other laptops without any overheating problems, but all different processors so probably not comparible

Chassis & Display
UltraNote Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 60Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Pentium® Quad Core Processor N5000 (1.10GHz, 2.7GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB DDR4 2400MHz SOLDERED (N5000 PROCESSOR ONLY)
Graphics Card
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS (CPU Dependant) - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st M.2 SSD Drive
64GB Hard Drive Onboard (eMMC)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x 45W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
UltraNote Series Integrated 36WH Lithium Ion Battery
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 GEN 1 PORT (Type C) + 1 x USB 3.2 GEN 1 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS
Keyboard Language
15" ULTRANOTE SERIES UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

Bhuna50

Author Level
Are the fans coming on at all when the temperatures start to rise.

Unfortunately I do not know anything about Linux set ups, but the laptops usually come with control software in Windows that helps with the thermal management. I am not sure if the same applies to Linux - @FerrariVie - I think I've seen you mention Linux set ups before - could you advise any further?

It might be worth a call to PCS to arrange its return to check the thermals.

D

Deleted member 17413

Possibly a bad paste job? Definately a PCS call

jammin

Thanks all, yeah will contact support. I used my own script to log cpu temp, load and what apps were using most cpu was definitely just a normal load causing overheat.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Are the fans coming on at all when the temperatures start to rise.

Unfortunately I do not know anything about Linux set ups, but the laptops usually come with control software in Windows that helps with the thermal management. I am not sure if the same applies to Linux - @FerrariVie - I think I've seen you mention Linux set ups before - could you advise any further?

It might be worth a call to PCS to arrange its return to check the thermals.
It's indeed good to have some kind of fan and temperature monitor either on windows or Linux, and the one I've been using on PopOS is this: https://github.com/tuxedocomputers/tuxedo-control-center . It worked well on my Nova, but I'm not sure if it's going to work on your Ultranote as well.

But as @Stephen M said, it will only help you to monitor things and will not solve the issue with temperatures.