Ultrawide Flat IPS

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Whilst I am waiting for my 3071Ti system to go into build I’m looking for a monitor, I’m was going to go with up to 2 normal 27” 1440p but now thinking about ultrawide as it will suit my space better, I don’t really want curved as it’s primary use will be video, photo editing and graphic design with a bit of gaming here and there

Any suggestions for ultrawide flat, 144hz would be good ? Budget £500 max or am I not going to get anything around that price ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Whilst I am waiting for my 3071Ti system to go into build I’m looking for a monitor, I’m was going to go with up to 2 normal 27” 1440p but now thinking about ultrawide as it will suit my space better, I don’t really want curved as it’s primary use will be video, photo editing and graphic design with a bit of gaming here and there

Any suggestions for ultrawide flat, 144hz would be good ? Budget £500 max or am I not going to get anything around that price ?
Ultrawide would be better IMHO

But anyhoo, there are some good options at that price, @AgentCooper no doubt will strongly recommend the AOC

EDIT: as I'm searching for a link, it's down to £350 at eBuyer which is just absolutely rediculous! If you want this one, get in there quick, it won't be at that price for long!

Posting this now in case you want to jump on it, it's a fantastic monitor, don't let the cheap price put you off, it stands firmly with other contenders at more the £500 range

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I realise the above is curved, but I think you'll find all ultrawides and superwides are, otherwise it wouldn't look correct when viewing.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Ah, well spotted, I just saw the price and leapt on it, didn't realise there was a lesser model.
A lesser model! 😆

You’ll hurt it’s feelings.

I very nearly bought that one as a lot of the games I play a high refresh rate isn’t vitally important to (I don’t play online). But there was a great deal on and the 144Hz version ended up costing me only £28 more.

Would happily recommend either of the two models, and I’m 100% with you that the curve actually makes viewing things more natural. My boss has a flat ultrawide as her work monitor and when I used it one day, excel looked really strange as I tracked my head from one side of the screen to the other.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
A lesser model! 😆

You’ll hurt it’s feelings.

I very nearly bought that one as a lot of the games I play a high refresh rate isn’t vitally important to (I don’t play online). But there was a great deal on and the 144Hz version ended up costing me only £28 more.

Would happily recommend either of the two models, and I’m 100% with you that the curve actually makes viewing things more natural. My boss has a flat ultrawide as her work monitor and when I used it one day, excel looked really strange as I tracked my head from one side of the screen to the other.
Yeah, it's a rock and a hard place.

Flat ultrawides do exist, but afaik not really in the gaming zone, they're more creative only.

And contrastly, Gaming ultrawides are all curved afaik.

If you did feel you definitely needed flat it may well be better to get 2 individual monitors, one gaming and one high quality creative?

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Ultrawide would be better IMHO

But anyhoo, there are some good options at that price, @AgentCooper no doubt will strongly recommend the AOC

EDIT: as I'm searching for a link, it's down to £350 at eBuyer which is just absolutely rediculous! If you want this one, get in there quick, it won't be at that price for long!

Posting this now in case you want to jump on it, it's a fantastic monitor, don't let the cheap price put you off, it stands firmly with other contenders at more the £500 range
Hmmm, yeah I have seen some flat ultrawide, just not sure how editing on a curved would be, I will have a read up and see what the current thinking is for creative stuff on curved

MrWilson

Godlike
Yeah, I was contemplating going for the Acer when I was monitor shopping. A few reviews had it below the AOC for gaming, but if productivity is the primary use it's a great pick.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Nice, thanks for the link, after watching and reading a few reviews i'm currently contemplating curved !

Have some more of an aggressive curve than others ? I just want a subtle curve really, also takes up less space.
Yeah, so the value that is the curve is measures such as 1500R (r being the radius). The lower the number the steeper the curvature.

It takes a little adjustment initially but once your eyes accustom to it, it’s actually far more natural for the brain.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Nice, thanks for the link, after watching and reading a few reviews i'm currently contemplating curved !

Have some more of an aggressive curve than others ? I just want a subtle curve really, also takes up less space.
In no way would I recommend my own link. I'll be all over a 34" curved UW the day I finally get somewhere to put a PC. Curved is where you should be at.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I hear flat is better for production but I've no personal hands on experience

I know the engineers I work with all prefer flat but when it comes to games, yeah I noticed it was curved for about 10 minutes and no I don't notice any difference at all. You adapt to it pretty quick

RichLan564

Bright Spark
In no way would I recommend my own link. I'll be all over a 34" curved UW the day I finally get somewhere to put a PC. Curved is where you should be at.
Gah, its a minefield, please somebody just tell me what to buy for less than £500 that isn't MEGA curved and stop this analysis paralysis i have !

It took me months to sort the PC, i can't go through the same with a monitor and i haven't even thought about speakers and mouse/keyboard yet.....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Gah, its a minefield, please somebody just tell me what to buy for less than £500 that isn't MEGA curved and stop this analysis paralysis i have !

It took me months to sort the PC, i can't go through the same with a monitor and i haven't even thought about speakers and mouse/keyboard yet.....
I would say the gigabyte or the AOC are the better options.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hmmm, yeah I have seen some flat ultrawide, just not sure how editing on a curved would be, I will have a read up and see what the current thinking is for creative stuff on curved
I edit on a curved (samsung G5) and find it ok, and that has a 1M radius

RichLan564

Bright Spark
I edit on a curved (samsung G5) and find it ok, and that has a 1M radius
Cheers, watched a few Youtube reviews, seems opinion is split, i can see the attraction but think >1500R is going to be the best option, the AOC CU34G2X looks pretty good, not IPS though whihc is a shame