Ultrawide monitor concern

Rossco06

Morning everyone,

I am currently waiting for my PC to be built and I am looking at getting a new monitor. I think I have settled on which one to get.....the AOC CU34G2X ultra wide. I am really intrigued with what an ultra wide can offer in terms of immersion but I do have one concern and that is the size of the thing!

As I have never had one before and it's been a while since I have been gaming at a desk, I am worried that the monitor will 'stick out' too far from it's base. My desk is 23.6 inches wide, which isn't massive and it sits right up against a wall so I'm concerned that with the curvature of the monitor it will actually be quite close to me.

Does anyone have any experience with this monitor? If so are they able to provide any measurement of how far it will stick out from being placed up against a wall?

Any other experience/review on the monitor people can impart would be awesome but don't worry about it too much as like I say I'm pretty much decided on it just need to make sure it's going to fit!

Thanks in advance.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Morning everyone,

I am currently waiting for my PC to be built and I am looking at getting a new monitor. I think I have settled on which one to get.....the AOC CU34G2X ultra wide. I am really intrigued with what an ultra wide can offer in terms of immersion but I do have one concern and that is the size of the thing!

As I have never had one before and it's been a while since I have been gaming at a desk, I am worried that the monitor will 'stick out' too far from it's base. My desk is 23.6 inches wide, which isn't massive and it sits right up against a wall so I'm concerned that with the curvature of the monitor it will actually be quite close to me.

Does anyone have any experience with this monitor? If so are they able to provide any measurement of how far it will stick out from being placed up against a wall?

Any other experience/review on the monitor people can impart would be awesome but don't worry about it too much as like I say I'm pretty much decided on it just need to make sure it's going to fit!

Thanks in advance.
I believe the one and only @AgentCooper has this monitor paired with a 3070

steaky360

I don't have any experience with that monitor in particular (I have a G9, so I'd say essentially similar experience), but if you're at all concerned, I would strongly recommend trying to go and physically view one.

It took me by surprise a bit when I received my G9 at just how pronounced the curve is, took a little getting used too. I love it now and wouldn't go back, but obviously everyone's different.

I wasn't aware @AgentCooper has this monitor though so maybe he has more relevant thoughts and could maybe get the old tape measure out ;)

Rossco06

I don't have any experience with that monitor in particular (I have a G9, so I'd say essentially similar experience), but if you're at all concerned, I would strongly recommend trying to go and physically view one.

It took me by surprise a bit when I received my G9 at just how pronounced the curve is, took a little getting used too. I love it now and wouldn't go back, but obviously everyone's different.

I wasn't aware @AgentCooper has this monitor though so maybe he has more relevant thoughts and could maybe get the old tape measure out ;)
I have tried to go and physically see one but the local PC world has more or less completely stripped their store of monitors and the only other shops around are small independents who don't have any on show. So i've run out of options.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have tried to go and physically see one but the local PC world has more or less completely stripped their store of monitors and the only other shops around are small independents who don't have any on show. So i've run out of options.
A friend of mine has the G9 which is a more aggressive curve at 1000R vs this one at 1500R (the higher the radius, the lesser the curve). It takes a little getting used to initially, you have to adapt the vision you’re used to, but it doesn’t take long, and within a day or two it feels so much more natural.

Rossco06

A friend of mine has the G9 which is a more aggressive curve at 1000R vs this one at 1500R (the higher the radius, the lesser the curve). It takes a little getting used to initially, you have to adapt the vision you’re used to, but it doesn’t take long, and within a day or two it feels so much more natural.
I play a fair bit of DayZ and I find I use my peripheral vision a lot trying to keep an eye out, so I'm hoping the curve will help with that. Would you say that is the case?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I play a fair bit of DayZ and I find I use my peripheral vision a lot trying to keep an eye out, so I'm hoping the curve will help with that. Would you say that is the case?
That’s where it comes into its own, you’re seeing extra content at each side so you’ll see people coming into shot far earlier.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Well hello, all. I’ve never seen my name so oft-mentioned! Sorry, been a busy morning at work so I’m just catching up with things as I insert a sandwich into my face.

So I’m pretty sure that my desk is 100cm wide and 60cm deep and I’ve not felt as though it’s too close at any point. As you and @SpyderTracks say, the extra profiterole vision you get in first person games is great. Mmm, profiteroles.

I’ll take a couple of pics of the monitor and desk when I get home and post them here so you can get a feel for it 👍

Rossco06

Well hello, all. I’ve never seen my name so oft-mentioned! Sorry, been a busy morning at work so I’m just catching up with things as I insert a sandwich into my face.

So I’m pretty sure that my desk is 100cm wide and 60cm deep and I’ve not felt as though it’s too close at any point. As you and @SpyderTracks say, the extra profiterole vision you get in first person games is great. Mmm, profiteroles.

I’ll take a couple of pics of the monitor and desk when I get home and post them here so you can get a feel for it 👍
Who doesn't love more profiterole....;)

Seeing as though your desk depth is almost identical to mine, a couple pics of your setup would help a lot to see how its going to fit in. Thank you

CMP01

Enthusiast
I don't have that monitor exactly but the one possibly closest to it specs-wise (Gigabyte G34WQC)
If it helps, I think you'll be fine tbh. My desk is 150cm wide and 60cm deep, so spacious enough. Your desk should be just wide enough for the base of the AOC but the screen itself will overlap about 5" or so on each side assuming it's centred. For distance from screen though, no tape measure to hand, but it's about two thirds of the way back on the desk with the back of the stand flush with the back edge... I'm arms length plus another hand (for a 5' 8" guy) away in my chair and it's awesome, curve and all.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Right, I’m home! Just checked, the desk is indeed 100cm wide and 60cm deep as I thought. The tower itself is on a separate chest of drawers so that’s not part of the desk measurement.

Here’s a few pics to give you some perspective. Bear in mind that I’ve placed my monitor on a stand so I can slide my keyboard under in when not in use (mainly to stop the cats walking on it) but as you can see, the support legs on the monitor barely jut out at all.

5CBF6D3D-C436-42CF-B787-6FAED008A111.jpeg

3E0A9F02-A465-4EA9-A974-54A24D33FB12.jpeg

60DD8186-0228-408A-ADE9-8E468EF9F84B.jpeg

And here is Noodle doing one of her classic photobombs. If there’s ever a picture being taken in this house, she wants to be in it.

3ABC85C6-6318-4258-BDDE-4044DC807F8C.jpeg

Hope the pics help, @Rossco06. Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with 🙂👍

Rossco06

Right, I’m home! Just checked, the desk is indeed 100cm wide and 60cm deep as I thought. The tower itself is on a separate chest of drawers so that’s not part of the desk measurement.

Here’s a few pics to give you some perspective. Bear in mind that I’ve placed my monitor on a stand so I can slide my keyboard under in when not in use (mainly to stop the cats walking on it) but as you can see, the support legs on the monitor barely jut out at all.

View attachment 28434

View attachment 28435

View attachment 28436

And here is Noodle doing one of her classic photobombs. If there’s ever a picture being taken in this house, she wants to be in it.

View attachment 28437

Hope the pics help, @Rossco06. Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with 🙂👍
That's actually a great help, thank you!

My desk is just under 120 cm so I may be able to squeeze my rig onto it as well if I'm lucky.

I can see that it's a gentle curve as well which is nice. Well I think that's me convinced anyway 😁 thank you all for your input.

P.s. that's a beauty of a cat you have there!