Unable to connect to network when other devices can

declaj01

The wifi on my laptop won't let me connect to my network, all other devices in the house are connecting fine, any reason/ fix for this?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The wifi on my laptop won't let me connect to my network, all other devices in the house are connecting fine, any reason/ fix for this?
Why not, what happens that prevents you connecting?

What are you full specs? What version of windows are you on? If Win 10, which version ie 1709 etc

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
How are you trying to connect? Via WiFi or via an Ethernet cable?

In addition to the above, open a command prompt and enter the command ipconfig /all. It may generate a lot of output (it depends on how many network adapters are defined). Scroll through the output until the entry for whatever WiFi or Ethernet adapter you're using is fully displayed and post a screenshot of the output here.

You can also try some basic problem determination but to do that you'll need to know the IP address of your router. It's most likely 192.168.1.1 but you should check - you'll see it in the ipconfig output as 'default gateway' (ignore the address starting fe80::).

In the command prompt window you have open, type the following commands one after the other, let us know which command first gives you a 'request timed out' response...

ping 127.0.0.1

ping ip address of your router, eg. ping 192.168.1.1

ping 64.4.141.247 (don't worry abpout where that is, it's nowhere dangerous).

ping www.uuplus.com (that's actually the same site as above)

If you get a times response from all of those you're connected to the Internet ok, the first to give a 'request times out' will be a big clue.

declaj01

This is what comes up when I run the ip config, I've re-input the wifi password and made sure it works on my phone. seems like the adapter may not be working?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That's prtty clear cut, the DHCP process that assigns your adater an IP address and gateway etc. has either failed or not run. Curiously the auto IP address has not been assigned either.

Are you sure you have the driver for this wireless card installed?

If you gte hold of an Ethernet cable connect to your router via that, even if it means temporarily moving your PC. If that works then it's definitely a WiFi issue, if it doesn't then we need to look further.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's prtty clear cut, the DHCP process that assigns your adater an IP address and gateway etc. has either failed or not run. Curiously the auto IP address has not been assigned either.

Are you sure you have the driver for this wireless card installed?

If you gte hold of an Ethernet cable connect to your router via that, even if it means temporarily moving your PC. If that works then it's definitely a WiFi issue, if it doesn't then we need to look further.
All we know is that it's not connected to a network which is why DHCP isn't showing any data.

We don't know what the OP is facing when it fails to connect, so we have no idea what the cause is for the failure.

All that says to me is that it's not connected currently which I would expect.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
All we know is that it's not connected to a network which is why DHCP isn't showing any data.

We don't know what the OP is facing when it fails to connect, so we have no idea what the cause is for the failure.

All that says to me is that it's not connected currently which I would expect.
If it was talking to the router at all DHCP is the first process that starts. If that fails the auto address of 169.254.255.254 would be assigned (which is useless of course) and it's not. That means the adapter isn't trying to do anything.

To the OP, what does the adapter look like in device manager? Does it have a yellow triangle and exclamation mark next to it. If you right-click and go into Properties and the Advanced tab check that the radio is on.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Furthermore, when you say it won’t connect, you have to be more specific, does it fail when entering the network password? If so what error does it give?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

declaj01

It was giving an unable to connect to network error, after entering password. Ironically enough it's now working, it may have been a problem with my WiFi rather than the laptop. Currently typing this on it now. :LOL:
In terms of drivers and everything, I bought the laptop from here so I'd assume all the latest have been installed and Windows is may be an update behind but should be the most recent.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It was giving an unable to connect to network error, after entering password. Ironically enough it's now working, it may have been a problem with my WiFi rather than the laptop. Currently typing this on it now. :LOL:
In terms of drivers and everything, I bought the laptop from here so I'd assume all the latest have been installed and Windows is may be an update behind but should be the most recent.
Worth forcing windows updates to get everything up to date. Also manually check your graphics drivers from nvidia as it’s unlikely the full suite will have been installed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Sounds very much like a dhcp failure to me. Do you know whether your router limits the number of connected devices?

via Tapatalk