Unable to install Linux

D

Deleted member 88683

I mean it does clearly state on their website the following which has a tick box which you have to agree to.

"You will be Installing: Linux
You have specified that you will be installing an operating system that is not supported by us (Linux).. Please note that we do not supply drivers for this operating system and our call centre technicians are also not fully trained to answer any sales or support questions relating to this operating system. We will of course try our best to offer as much support and advice as possible for any known issues.

Many of our customers do install Linux on our computers and are also able to install a full driver package. We recommend you visit our Linux support page on our forums here for further advice.

I understand that the operating system I have chosen to install is not supported, and that drivers for the components I have selected may not be available."

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
@UBUYSA Please try to understand the problem before answering.

It's not a linux problem but a limited Bios which does not let us configure drive in classic AHCI
Unfortunately good manners and the forum rules prevent me from saying exactly what I think of this rude and rather self-absorbed post.

It is a fact that PCS do not support Linux on any build. The BIOS supplied is neither designed nor warrantied to be suitable for Linux.

Thus, if your Linux problem is BIOS related there is nothing that PCS can do to help. In addition, should you install any other BIOS you will most likely void your warranty.

I advise you to think very carefully about what you post in the future.

bhunachicken

Glad I held off on buying a laptop with an NVME drive.

I think the best advice for Linux users right now is to stick with regular SSDs.

In all honestly, I'm not sure the performance gain from an NVME is worth it? I've seen videos on YouTube of some people loading games and the difference is about 1 second between the two..! For the extra £££, that's not much to crow about.

jerome_jm_martin

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks jerome, just tried on L141CU and it does nothing

it was worth a try. :(

this issue, as I said, is not PCS (nor any other manufacturer) related, it's design issue introduced by Intel :

page 847 : see : https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...ts/300-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-2.pdf

Some Bios providers, can correct the intel design flaw by showing the "SATA mode" option (and the different values, IDE,AHCI & RAID) in the bios instead of hardcoding the parameter to RAID.

By hardcoding the sata mode to RAID, and as far as I understand, the intel chipset hide the pcie NVMe drive behind a remaped setting, preventing the AHCI driver to bind to the drive (it doesn't matter if your are using linux or windows, the ahci driver won't bind because there's "no drive") however intel provide it's own driver to handle the remapped nvme drive, but only for windows, not for linux.

The ultimate solution should come directly from intel, but it's unlikely to happen as this issue as been ongoing for almost 4 years now.

the only thing you can do, is to get a ssd drive with m2 connection and it will work. Then cross your fingers to have a bios update correcting the issue.

Have a nice week-end.
J.

Last edited:

jerome_jm_martin

Bronze Level Poster
and just for the fun of it : even disk manufacturers can not install their own driver in windows if sata mode is locked onto RAID.

this is from samsung :

System Configuration Windows Operating System shall successfully load the driver only when Samsung NVMe SSD 970 PRO, 970 EVO, 970 EVO Plus, 960 PRO, 960 EVO or 950 PRO is installed to

PCIe slot directly connected to CPU or
M.2 or PCIe slot connected to PCH.
However, in the PCH case, Windows Operating System cannot load the driver under following BIOS configurations where

PCH Storage Configuration is set to “Raid Mode, or
NAND/Storage Remapping option*” is enabled.
* The option name can be different according to M/B manufacturers.

source : https://s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws.com/global.semi.static/Samsung_NVMeDriver_InstallationGuide.pdf

J.

The ultimate solution should come directly from intel, but it's unlikely to happen as this issue as been ongoing for almost 4 years now.

Thanks Jerome,

Yes I read the 2016 thread on the kernel mailing list , Intel has definitly failed on that point. external module is not an option either.

I didn't try but I guess that their Intel Clear Linux distro ( which is flatpak only) have a kernel with their ugly patch.

I try to get in touch with other clevo OEM to get an updated Bios. I will post back if I get one.

the only thing you can do, is to get a ssd drive with m2 connection and it will work. Then cross your fingers to have a bios update correcting the issue.

You meant M.2 on SATA bus I guess.

moserei

Sorry to resurrect the old topic. I ran into the same problem (or even worse, I only have a NVMe SSD, so right no I can't use my Lafite Pro 14).
I discovered the thread a bit too late (just after I received the shipping).

Did anybody manage to install Linux on a NVMe with the PCS supplied BIOS? Or have luck with finding & flashing another compatible BIOS?
Anybody tried flashing the coreboot BIOS that another manufacturer is shipping on the same barebone?

NOTE: Yes, I am aware that flashing a BIOS from some other source will verly likely void the warranty.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry to resurrect the old topic. I ran into the same problem (or even worse, I only have a NVMe SSD, so right no I can't use my Lafite Pro 14).
I discovered the thread a bit too late (just after I received the shipping).

Did anybody manage to install Linux on a NVMe with the PCS supplied BIOS? Or have luck with finding & flashing another compatible BIOS?
Anybody tried flashing the coreboot BIOS that another manufacturer is shipping on the same barebone?

NOTE: Yes, I am aware that flashing a BIOS from some other source will verly likely void the warranty.
You can just swap out the nvme? Wouldn't cost a lot.

moserei

You can just swap out the nvme? Wouldn't cost a lot.

I guess I can swap it out against a M.2 SATA SSD but that would be a lot slower. The fast NVMe SSD was one of the reasons I chose that model. But yes, if I don't find another solution I will have to do that...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I guess I can swap it out against a M.2 SATA SSD but that would be a lot slower. The fast NVMe SSD was one of the reasons I chose that model. But yes, if I don't find another solution I will have to do that...
It's certainly not ideal but surely better than throwing the warranty away.

pacmanslegs

I had the same problem with another resellers L141CU. Had to buy a M.2 SATA drive in order to use the laptop. Since then, and after a bunch of research, I sent an email linking to all the relevant threads, asking about a different BIOS version that has the option to change to AHCI. I was provided Windows flashing instructions and a link to the Linux compatible BIOS (that allowed changing to AHCI). I was able to flash the BIOS successfully and now have NVMe working as it should have been from the start. The BIOS version was exactly the same but had a 1 tacked onto the end.

It's great to see other resellers go Linux first and offer a similar L141CU but with open source firmware: **competitor links removed**

I'd push back to your own reseller and get them to follow up with the manufacturer and offer a more inclusive solution to their customers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen M

Author Level
I have emailed PCS about the BIOS situation and am awaiting a reply, will post on a new thread when it comes.