Underclocking Defiance VII - What TPL settings should I use?

j_ly08

Apologies if this is underclocking as I couldn't find a place for it. First of all, lets be honest, the Defiance VII fans are loud. When in idle, it is quite, but as soon as you perform a task, turbo boost kicks in and the fans get obnoxiously loud. When gaming, they are expected to be loud, that is fine.

I have underlocked -0.75mV which has unnoticeable difference in CPU temps, I get around 48°C average idlle. Now, with turbo turned off, I get a solid 40°C and doing my daily tasks the fans don't go "overdrive" mode. I want to have turbo but not to the extent that even loading up chrome or loading up iTunes will make the fans go crazy. What TPL settings should I use? I am not a underclocking expert.

Attached are pictures of my settings, I have turbo turned off and I get around 40°C when doing my daily tasks.

Attachments

• Snap 2020-07-10 at 13.52.24.png
    Snap 2020-07-10 at 13.52.24.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 248
  • Snap 2020-07-10 at 13.54.55.png
    Snap 2020-07-10 at 13.54.55.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 252

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The fans react to heat in the chassis. Before you do anything like this you need to make sure the thermals are within normal operation. Have you done that?

j_ly08

The fans react to heat in the chassis. Before you do anything like this you need to make sure the thermals are within normal operation. Have you done that?

Can you elaborate what you mean by checking apart from monitoring?

I am monitoring the CPU and GPU temps before and after the changes and have performed the TS benchmarks to see if they are OK.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Can you elaborate what you mean by checking apart from monitoring?

I am monitoring the CPU and GPU temps before and after the changes and have performed the TS benchmarks to see if they are OK.
Before applying any kind of undervolt or any optimisation whatsoever, you need to make sure the thermals are within operational limits. Otherwise you’re just masking an underlying problem and not dealing with the root cause.

So I’d remove any underclock or undervolt and troubleshoot the fans as fans react to temps. If the temps are too high, then you need to address that by reposting or something.

j_ly08

I see, thanks for clearing that up. I should have mentioned that my thermals before undervolting were 48 idle, shoots to 60-70 when performing general tasks like opening up chrome and moving large files and maximum 90-95.

I should have rephrased my issue is that the underlying problem would be the turbo boost which would try to up the clock to meet demands and thus increase the temps which makes the laptop fans go up and down. Very annoying when you are just browsing the web. I can confirm that because I've been using it with turbo boost off all day, so it's definitely one of the culprits.

My thinking is to either to limit turbo to not have that drastic effect, if possible. Other options I can think of is to move the fan controls which doesn't seem great long term as there's a difference between temporarily at 60 to prolong 60. Or lastly to have two profiles one with turbo or not have turbo.

I want to have a small compromise of having turbo a little so that I don't have to actively change profiles every time. This should be done automatically which I don't feel is unreasonable.

With that do you or anyone have a suggestion on what to do? Such as what config I could set in the TPL to achieve this? Or something else that I haven't mentioned. Cheers