Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Advice

ER28

As a noob to UPS purchasing I need some help. I don’t want to drop a ton of cash on something that is overkill. That said I don’t want to be a cheap arse either. I will be upgrading, and don’t want to buy twice. I have done some research, especially into APC, but would be much more comfortable with some advice from someone more knowledgeable. My use case is gaming. I aim to upgrade to a new system with Ryzen 7000 series CPU and a RTX 4000 series GPU. So based on predictions that the power draw will be higher in these, any tips?

Current PC Specs:

AMD Ryzen 3900X
ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (non-Wi-Fi)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
11GB ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti
2TB Samsung 980 Pro
4TB Samsung 860 QVO
CORSAIR 750W TXm
Corsair H115i PRO Cooler

I also have an Acer Predator monitor and a Netgear modem router combo that would be attached.

RichLan564

Bright Spark
As a noob to UPS purchasing I need some help. I don’t want to drop a ton of cash on something that is overkill. That said I don’t want to be a cheap arse either. I will be upgrading, and don’t want to buy twice. I have done some research, especially into APC, but would be much more comfortable with some advice from someone more knowledgeable. My use case is gaming. I aim to upgrade to a new system with Ryzen 7000 series CPU and a RTX 4000 series GPU. So based on predictions that the power draw will be higher in these, any tips?

Current PC Specs:

AMD Ryzen 3900X
ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (non-Wi-Fi)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
11GB ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti
2TB Samsung 980 Pro
4TB Samsung 860 QVO
CORSAIR 750W TXm
Corsair H115i PRO Cooler

I also have an Acer Predator monitor and a Netgear modem router combo that would be attached.
Depends how long you want it to hold the system up, having said that a UPS is really just designed to give you enough time to do a shutdown or transition to another supply, which in a domestic settting isn't going to happen, so its just there to do a shutdown.

Anything from APC or other manufacturer of the correct rating (minimum of 750w from your spec as that's the most the PSU can draw anyway + peripherals as detailed) that has sufficient runtime to support your system for a few minutes will do just fine.

Just as an aside i think going to RX4000 and Ryzen7000 would require at least a 1000W PSU in your system as is supect the 750W won't cut it when you upgrade

ER28

Yeah, I’m only looking for a short amount of time to shut the thing down safely. And absolutely, I’m going to get a new PCS system anyway with the power requirements and new memory standards. So you reckon something around 1000W to “buy once and cry once”?

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Yeah, I’m only looking for a short amount of time to shut the thing down safely. And absolutely, I’m going to get a new PCS system anyway with the power requirements and new memory standards. So you reckon something around 1000W to “buy once and cry once”?
1000W should be OK but might be better bumping it to 1200W, APC have some UPS calculators that are quite useful, run the number through that and see what it come up with, that should give you an idea of size required so you can then shop around for cheaper makes than APC

Amazon have loads of weird and wonderful ones which will be fine for home

Just be aware that UPS's are not maintenance free, expect to have to change the batteries at some point in its lifetime but a decent oone wil tell you when that is

ER28

I ended up with APC Easy UPS SMV2000CAI 2000VA UPS, Line interactive. Only had it two days so just getting used to it. Thanks for the info!