Updating Drivers for my HD 7970M and Switchable Graphics

CeleBL

I own a Vortex III (Clevo P150EMx) (BIOS Revision: 1.00.04) with an AMD Radeon HD 7970m which works with my Intel HD Graphics 4000 as Switchable Graphics.

My HD 7970m is using the Driver that came with the machine, it's currently using Version 8.951.6.0 (Dated 29/03/2012).

I'm trying to update my drivers as some newer games are seeing graphical bugs, and my brother who owns an Alienware updated his driver by manually switching his graphics card over to be able to update them and its fixed his problems.

I've tried using the AMD Update tool, but as my dxdiag is always showing me as having an Intel graphics card, my AMD Catalyst update tool says I don't own an AMD Card and won't update.

I've tried updating using Windows 7's 'Update Driver' option in the Device Manager, which updates the driver, but gives me random Blue Screen of Deaths, so I rolled back to my manufacturers drivers.

I've also manually downloaded and installed the latest "AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta8" but this also causes me BSOD.

Is there anything I can do? I feel like i've wasted loads of money, and time (I waited a few weeks just to get this AMD Card) on all of this.

Zippity

Still Broken BSOD?

I own a Vortex III (Clevo P150EMx) (BIOS Revision: 1.00.04) with an AMD Radeon HD 7970m which works with my Intel HD Graphics 4000 as Switchable Graphics.

My HD 7970m is using the Driver that came with the machine, it's currently using Version 8.951.6.0 (Dated 29/03/2012).

I'm trying to update my drivers as some newer games are seeing graphical bugs, and my brother who owns an Alienware updated his driver by manually switching his graphics card over to be able to update them and its fixed his problems.

I've tried using the AMD Update tool, but as my dxdiag is always showing me as having an Intel graphics card, my AMD Catalyst update tool says I don't own an AMD Card and won't update.

I've tried updating using Windows 7's 'Update Driver' option in the Device Manager, which updates the driver, but gives me random Blue Screen of Deaths, so I rolled back to my manufacturers drivers.

I've also manually downloaded and installed the latest "AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta8" but this also causes me BSOD.

Is there anything I can do? I feel like i've wasted loads of money, and time (I waited a few weeks just to get this AMD Card) on all of this.

It's been about a month, and I'm now in the exact same place as you. Has this been solved? I noted today that ever sagernotebooks package is causing the blue screen errors "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.". I cannot seem to find, anywhere, a way to solve this drivers issue!

I am sitting on only the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 right now, since I don't seem to have an old version of the Radeon HD drivers around. I'd rather solve this than simply keep using the old ones!

Thank you in advance.

I've received my laptop over the weekend and I'm also starting to see certain graphical glitches in some games (Assassins Creed 3, Far Cry 3, sometimes Guild Wars 2). I've checked the AMD website but when I set it to the Notebook graphics and the 7 Series, there isn't actually any drivers available for me to install.
And since I'm using the Switchable Graphics, the Auto Detect also fails for me as well.

Has anyone got any background info on this or a way to sort it?

EDIT:

I have found this:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst7970MEnduroPerformance driver.aspx

Does this look like the right driver?

Last edited:

Avo

I own a Clevo Notebook with 7970M and Intel 4000 too. I installed the Driver and running the g-card with a good performance. In the Witcher 2 and Skyrim i have some graphical problems. I dont know if these are realy caused by the driver. Do you guys have the same problem?

Daymos

Bronze Level Poster
I just got a vortex 3 with 7970m and it has the same issues.

Im yet to see the graphics power and my £300 dual core is performing just as good.. or shall i say the vortex is performing bad?

Ok slight exageration because the vortex 3 plays HD video ok and adobe premier seems ok-ish..

3ds max is where i cant use my 7970m and its stuck on the intergrated intel chip :(

Last edited:

swiftstep

Make sure you manually set your applications games to run in 'performance mode' in the 'configure switchable graphics' tool. I too used to run games and think 'this is SLOWWWW' but realised that they weren't utilising my 7970m gpu!

Also I was having BSODs too on windows 7 but since a clean install of Windows 8 it is PERFECT! no more BSODs! I know windows 8 metro sucks but you can get a program called start8 which will make it work like windows 7 with the start menu! Definately worth a go if you can as it will resolve all your crashing issues just like it did for me.

Daymos

Bronze Level Poster
Dude, thank you for your info.

I change everything to Performance mode and it does help.. I guess the system is designed to minimise the user having to configure everything.

I have many bug problems and with applications crashing now and then but that could just be the apps im using..

I think i will upgrade to window 8 also.. its only £25 i believe.

Lastly.. his it just me who cant use internet exlplorer? it just grounds to a hault an i have to use crome only.. (im not starting a debate on whats better)

Ive paid £1700 on this machine, you'd at least expect it to run IE properly

Last edited:

Avo

Today i installed the Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11. It seems to be very good :). I had in Skyrim some flickering and graphic bugs. It seems to be gone :). I testet Skyrim, Torchlight 2 and Tropico 4. Note: I installed first the AMD Driver then the Intel Components of the Clevo AMD Driver and the newest Driver for the Intel HD 4000.