upgrade from Asus ENGTS 450??

jdizzil

i, im currently moving more towads my PC gaming than my console gaming my Pc build is this

Win 7 64
Asus p7p55d-e mobo
OC I-5 760 @ 3.7GH
12GB 1600MHZ ram
Asus ENGTS 450 Video card
2x WD 500GB Raid 0
32" Full HD T.V

for the moment the card is runng games ok, but for max proformance i think ill need to upgrade soon, my mobo dosent support SLI only Crodssfire so im looking for
ATI card and at a later date buy a second to crossfire them.

so what would be a good card to upgrade too and is SLI / Crossfire 2 ok cards better than 1 really good card??

Thanks

Rakk

The Awesome
so im looking for
ATI card and at a later date buy a second to crossfire them.
Note: You may need a bigger PSU than you already have to crossfire two cards if you get a second card

and is SLI / Crossfire 2 ok cards better than 1 really good card??
Generally I'd always prefer one better card than two lesser cards, less power usage, less to go wrong etc.
Though Crossfiring/SLI'ing down the line is generally a cheaper way of upgrading than buying one spangly new card every time (presuming your PSU has enough power to do so)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
What kind of PSU are you running? That may limit your choice to something with a similar power draw as you have at the moment anyway.

You are ALWAYS better buying one card just now and adding in a 2nd card at a later date when the 2nd card is cheaper and you need just a little performance boost.

Something like a 7850 would be a great choice on the AMD side of things, would be alot faster than what you have at the moment and should last for a long time on it's own without needing a 2nd.

jdizzil

sorry, forgot to put PSU on, its a OCZ StealthXstream II OCZ600SXS2 600W ATX12V v2.2/ EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

ive looked at the radion card u mention and i think ill get this to replace my GTS, even if i get 2 i should be ok with the PSU shouldnt i??

Also on this board, i read somewhere that if i get a SSD drive my PCI-E will drop from a x16 to a x8, i was going to get 2 SSD and raid 0 them, but i dont think i want to take the PCI hit

Thanks

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Well 2 7850's will come in at under 250W so it should be perfectly fine to run both those cards from your PSU.

Why would you even want to pair up 2 SSD's in RAID 0? A single intel 520 series SSD is more than fast enough on it's own, having a pair of them in RAID 0 just doubles the risk of a catastrophic failure. I would just pick up a bigger SSD rather than 2 smaller ones as the speed advantage would be rather pointless in everyday use.

jdizzil

ok so 1 SSD lol, and im gonna get 1 7850 and if i need too later upgrade. ive been looking at my mobo specs but cant seem to find if it supports SATA 3 6GBs, and if it does if it drops the PCI to X8. assuming that is does ive looked at the intel 520 120GB (for my Os and my most used games/programs) and the sandisk extreme 120GB, the sandisk has a faster read/write than the intel and costs less, is this just because intel is a bigger brand and can charge more or is it better quallity Ie more reliable and less chance of it failing? which would you choose???

i know im going on abit and they probably seam like dumb questions but i wanna make sure i make the right choice (assuming i can even use them!)

Thanks alot.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Intel all the way, best reliabilty and probably the best speed in the real world aswell. The very slightly higher read/write speeds of the sandisk would give no noticable performance gain anyway. I jus looked up your motherboard and it lists 2 x SATA 6GB/s ports (they are the gray ones), you also have the 6 sata 3 ports which are blue.

I looked a little on the web for reducing to 8x and having SATA 6GB/s or keeping it at 16 and having sata 3GB/s. Everything i found was fairly old so im not sure how it would apply today, what i do know, you can try it out in various combanations and find out what you like best. You probably wont notice much of a speed boost in day to day applications if you have a 3GB/s or 6GB/s SSD to be honest.