Upgrade options.

Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade the ssd on my son's PC. He needs more space. I'm looking at 1tb drives.

Does the motherboard support another ssd ? Or will i have to replace the original ssd.

Finally, could someone recommend a 1TB drive. There's some good deals on the Samsung one's at the moment but I don't want to purchase something that isn't beneficial to his set up.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211119-093727_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211119-093727_Chrome.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20211119-093745_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211119-093745_Chrome.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 60

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade the ssd on my son's PC. He needs more space. I'm looking at 1tb drives.

Does the motherboard support another ssd ? Or will i have to replace the original ssd.

Finally, could someone recommend a 1TB drive. There's some good deals on the Samsung one's at the moment but I don't want to purchase something that isn't beneficial to his set up.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.
Hey Chris! There are a couple of different sorts of SSD- the sort in the PC currently is an M.2 NVME SSD, these tend to be the fastest and easiest to physically install but as the motherboard only has one M.2 slot you would have to replace the one currently if you wanted a bigger one (and therefore would have to reinstall windows).

The other sort is a 2.5” SATA SSD, these need wires to plug in and aren’t as fast, but you’d be able to add this without needing to replace/ reinstall anything. We don’t tend to go for these but if you’re just looking to add some storage for games, it’ll do the job.

The Samsung M.2 does indeed look like a good deal and indeed the one I’d go for if I was you. The other option is the PCS upgrade system, they’ll check for compatibility and it’ll all be covered under your PCS warranty. The 1TB Intel 670p would be the one I’d go for there, I believe it’s a little more expensive than the Samsung above.

Any questions, let us know and if you need any help installing it, don’t hesitate to ask!