Upgrading CPU

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi I've got an octane pro with an i7 4790 and I'd like to upgrade to the newer i7 6700k they offer these in the current refresh of the octanes and wondering if it was just a straight swap?

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
I doubt it's possible as it will be a different socket/chipset - if you had a desktop PC with a 4790 you'd need a new motherboard, and for a laptop the motherboard is basically the whole laptop.

If it's any consolation it's not really worth the upgrade:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1199?vs=1542

arent they the same socket however? I only say because when I got it I was told they'd be able to upgrade to the skylakes due to the same chipset and the motherboard in my laptop being compatible? bit annoyed if that isn't the case

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Well, do feel free to phone/email PCS. I don't work for them so might have it totally wrong, and if I did then sincere apologies for any concern caused. :(

If I am wrong though please do post back here because it would really be news to me that you can upgrade the CPU.

Also if you were sold the laptop on a given basis that turns out to not match an expectation that was set, it would probably be good for PCS to have the opportunity to review that.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
so I cannot upgrade at all? half the reason I purchased this laptop was advice from the sales team and being assured the MXM would make this upgradeable to skylake and future gpu's

The fact that it has MXM definitely allows the GPU to be upgraded/changed as long as the BIOS allows for it and the form factor is the same. You can certainly replace like for like with a fault.

The CPU is exactly the same. It CAN be upgraded to a better unit just not a different socket. If there was a fault with the CPU it would be much simpler to replace than a BGA variant.

This is the main reason that I'm opting for the true desktop hardware in a laptop. I want it to be easy to change/replace in the future.