Upgrading the 17" Vortex 2 - CPU & SSD

shaneZ95

1. So i have had my vortex 2 for quite a while now but i was wondering if the CPU can be upgraded to an ivy bridge processor from my current second gen sandy bridge i7.

2. Also when i configured my laptop i choose the 2 7200rpm HDD's but i feel i only need one, i want to fit the second bay with an SSD but how would i go about transferring just the OS to the SSD whilst leaving all my programs on the remaining 750GB HDD?

3. Also side question would i be possible to upgrade the GPU in the future, nothing atm is looking too amazing in the GPU upgrade department.

Processor: Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2820QM (2.30GHz)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 580M 2GB

Last edited:

mev

Bronze Level Poster
Not sure about the other questions but it's always best to do a fresh install on a new SSD. You can image your OS an transfer it but you're asking for trouble.

Buzz

Master
Is your i7 is good enough??

What are the specs.

1) Im nearly sure the Huron River motherboards will not be compatible with Ivy Bridge processors and I think your Intel HM65 is that but don't quote me on that. (Only backwards compatible on desktops with same socket)
2) Remove all HDD, install SSD. Install windows. Plug back in HDD and delete everything you dont want to keep.
3) You can upgrade I'm sure but you wouldn't really have very many options. Maybe the difference between say a 1.5G card and a 2G card. Possibly different vendors. Nvidia/Asus